55-56 Head question

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
I know the 55-56 308's had 1/2 inch head bolts.  The question is, did American Motors produce a 262  and did they have 1/2 bolts? 

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    AMC made replacement 262 engines available during the 1955 & 1956 seasons, however I am inclined to beleive they were most likely leftover 1954 examples.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Jerry, You are correct. Then at some point AMC job lotted what was left to J.C. Whitney  If I remember correctly those blocks were blue.
  • SuperDave

The only Hash 6 cyl. cars I have see, either had 308 or swb cars with the 202's.  If that is fact ( just guessing) Then any 262's provided after 54 would have been for replacement in stepdowns. Therefor would have the early crank? I don't have any parts books after 54 or I could check that out.

The reason I am asking is because I am trying to help a guy that has a 53 with a 55 engine that has a cracked 262 head. It's 100 miles away, so I can't peek under the hood to see if the block has the reinforcement rib above the pan flange. I asked him, but haven't heard from him yet. Last time I saw the car was a couple years ago and I noticed the serial number pad on the drivers side. I didn't notice the 262 head.  I had assumed it was a 308, but???

• SuperDave
    Just confirmed that it is a 308 (has the rib).
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Lance   -   Yes, I  have a copy of the J C Whitney flyers that were mailed out to former Hudson & AMC dealers as well as to parts jobber stores in  the area where I live.  This I think was in the early to mid 60's.  I later found a warehouse full of the 308 engines in Columbus OH [the building was probably 100 by 200 feet in floor space, with I would guess a 25 ft ceiling height] stuffed full of those engines.   and me without a spare buck to pick-up a couple for safe keeping ! ! !   This would have been in 1969 or  1970.  I have no idea what happened to  all of those engines.  The warehousing company that had them went out of business in 1972.