Some spares for my Hudson Essex

Hello, my name is Manfred and I am living in Germany. My Hudson is a 5-pass. Sedans Sedan (4 doors). Chassis No. 1048035, center distance 280 cm = 110 inch. Year of construction: 1929 I am looking for sensors in engine block or tank, respectively, of instruments of water temperature and fuel indicator. Furthermore a handgrip on the backside of the front seat for passengers is missing. I'm sorry about my English and hope you could me help me anyway. Sadly it's hard to translate these specific automobile words. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Hallo, Manfred!  We would say "sending unit" ("sensors" is so modern!).  And perhaps "robe rail" for the back of the seat -- is this the rail upon which one would hang a "lap robe"?  Here is a photograph of a "robe rail" from a different car, not an Essex:

Some of them are made of metal.  Some of them are like a rope.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I think Geoff Clark may have the mould to reproduce the "Robe Rail" ends. Send him a pm.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Is this the item you seek?

• Thanks for your help! I found this following picture: http://www.cars-on-line.com/photo/61800/29essex61882-7.jpg I think it is a continous rail from one end of the backseat to the other. Do you know how it is in the original Essex 1929?
  • Jon B said:
    Is this the item you seek?

Thank you, I don't know if it is the same as I posted below. Do you think it's a continous rail or is it 2 parts?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2017
    I do not know what kind of "robe rails" were used in the 1929 Essex.  But if the hardware (shown above) is correct for your car, then there would have been a round steel rail or rod, probably nickel plated, which ran between the two brackets shown.  So, the robe rail would have been in 3 pieces.

Geoff Clark apparently DOES reproduce the correct robe rail ends.  See the listing on page 22 of my "Hudson Repro Parts" webpage: http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf
    There is a small photograph of the brackets near the end of the listings.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    The picture is of the cast ends.  They are connected by a hollow tube of the correct length and diameter. The tube is nickel plated as is the ends
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv said:
    The picture is of the cast ends.  They are connected by a hollow tube of the correct length and diameter. The tube is nickel plated as is the ends.  I am speaking of the picture showing the 2 ends on the black background 

• EssexAdv
    The temperature gauge sending unit is a difficult to find part.  It is a tube with a bigger tube on the end   The small tube is fitted to the gauge.  The entire thing is sealed and filled with a gas.  Unfortunately, the tube is frequently cut and one end is separated from the other.  So, I would keep looking and maybe one will show up.  If it doesn't a modern one will have to be used. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    1929 Fuel gauge is electric.  It  needs a 180 ohm rheostat unit in the tank.  there are generic units available.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    A NZ HET Club member successfully put the 29 Essex fuel gauge faceplate onto a new fuel gauge that came with it's own sender & was bought from a local autoparts store for about $40.00