Fuel Filters

drivergo2
drivergo2 Expert Adviser
going to drop the tank on my fifty two hornet with twin h clean it blow out the lines and add a fuel filter to it witch one would you guys suggest any thing to look out for ? Thanks John

Comments

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited April 2017

I installed a 3/8" 'clear' fuel filter before the priming electric fuel pump at the tank. You can see how much sediment you trap and know when to change & around $2 each.

EDIT: Correction>> Holly fuel pump, #510-12-427, had 5/16" fittings after looking at receipt, so I used 5/16".

• l've got 2 cheap plastic filters - one as in the photo and the other is vertical - similar to a oil filter - both less than a few dollars each - the vertical one traps rust and heavy particulars like water and the other backs up the first. I also pour a litre of metho spirts into the tank when it's low before filling the tank every few months - metho mixes with water and the metho/water combo then mixes with the gas and bingo no water in the tank - cheers Ken 
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

A word of caution. Don't put one of those plastic filters between the fuel pump and the carb. They have been known to leak or the rubber hoses leak.  That is a fire ready to happen. I almost lost a 68 Torino years ago. Was able to get the fire out with only damage to the hood and front fenders. If you must have the filter under the hood, use solid lines and flare or compression fittings.

• Currently, my car has a WIX 33081 inline filter, screwed right into carb inlet, and the metal fuel line screwed right into it.  That's how my uncle set it up when he had the car.  Not sure yet if I'll keep that setup when I do the Twin H conversion.  It's metal, which means you don't have a clear window to view, but the trade off is that it's a very robust construction, and almost matches the carb.  It looks like it's supposed to be there.