41 Commodore Fuel Tank straps and drain Q

jase
jase Member
Hello friends,

Had a very productive last week or so. Got the 50 Super 6 aligned and working on a lot of the "little stuff".  :) I have also gotten the 41 Commodore 8 running, and moving under her own power for the first time since 2003, to judge by the NY inspection sticker. 

In giving the 41 a good look over, I find a few things. First, some jack leg has run rubber fuel hose from the tank all the way up to the pump, probably since the original steel line was rusted away.

Comments

• jase
    jase Member
    Dang it, half my post got lost. 

What size, and where can I get, the nut that attaches the fuel line to the sender? Same for the rubber hose attach up at the pump?

My tank straps are rusted badly, are these available from anyone? Also, how are y'all doing the drain, grinding a 3/8 extension to fit the square broach, or is there a specific tool for the drain?

Also, is the distributor cap and rotor for a 41 8, the same as for the Stepdown 8?

Thanks!
    Best

Jase
  • jase
    jase Member
    Since there weren't any replies to this, for the next guy or gal, I will share what I have found. 

The fuel tank drain, in addition to the differential filler plug, are square drive. They are, respectively, smaller and larger than a 3/8 drive extension. I found a kit, made by Gray Pneumatic, of "Pipe plug sockets" for around $30 on Amazon. Handy kit to have for old cars!!!!

Haven't found, nor did I look real hard, the tank straps. They look to be pretty simple to just fab up out of 16 or 18ga mild steel, so that's my plan. Looks like they are folded over and "doubled" for strength at each end, and the "hook end" is about a 45degree angle.  Hint for anyone cutting a long run of metal like this: if it's over 36" long, use a 1x2 piece of lumber as a straight edge clamped to the workpiece. Helps as a guide if you don't have a wide shear. 

Best
    Jase