New here and to Essex

I'm actually looking at a '26 or '27 Essex Super six coupe. Owners wife isn't positive on the year. Talking to the owner tonight. She says this car was a pace car, it has the original paint and you can see where the emblem was on the door. She said the have a picture of the car with the emblem on it, but she doesn't know where it is. Would there be any way to prove this information by the serial/VIN number??

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Open Forum, Dave.

The serial number won't prove / disprove whether the car was ever a pace car. (And she doesn't even say "pace car" for what.  The 500-mile Race?  A local dirt track race?)  So, I'd be a bit wary of that claim.

The serial number WILL tell you what model year it is.

337845 to 439752 (1st Series) 1926
    439573 to 499999 (2nd Series) 1926

500000 to 610275 (1st Series) 1927
    610276 to 706269 (2nd Series) 1927

The serial number is stamped (I believe) on the rear right spring bracket near the right side of the rear bumper.  Or on the manufacturer's plate (maybe located on the firewall?)

The Essex was a popular car in its time, hitting the #3 sales position in 1929.  You won't find spare parts as easily as you would for a Ford or Chevy of that era, but the stuff is out there.  If you buy it, may I suggest you also take out a membership in the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club?  It will make life a lot easier, for finding parts, technical information, and a connection with the word-wide network of enthusiasts who own these cars.  Here's the website: http://www.hetclub.org/

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    If it's a 26 or 27 Essex it won't have front brakes & the rear foot brakes will be external contracting type. ..Don Butler's book "The History of Hudson" has several very good reference photos of both years & models