Tail lights 1936 1937 Terra

Im looking for the red and white glass pieces that go in the 1936 Terra tail light and also the chrome ring that holds the lens in. I have seen different spring retainers in the tail light buckets. Some have a riveted bird spring on top of the large "u" shaped spring retainer. I thought that this might make it harder to push the red lens into the bucket. Any comments about this and the correct year they were used?
My 37 Terra tail light has some badly rusted spring retainers riveted in the chromed ring that hold the lens in. Before I go and get some made, are there any already available? Also while Im asking for advice, in the 36 and 37 headlights there is a bent spring in the bottom of the bucket - are these also available anywhere? Thanks, Barry

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2017
    Here's a photo of the '37 taillight with lens removed.  
    (Thank you, Gregg Maroney!)

The only advice I'd have for you, is to e-mail a photo around to "the usual sources" (Hudson parts vendors who advertise in the WTN) and ask if anyone has these for sale.  (Some Hudson vendors may not be so knowledgeable with the pre-war models, so a photo would help).  You never know what might be kicking around in the parts pile.

If you HAVE to have the springs made, do consider making some extras and then offering them for sale.  In this way you may possibly help to finance your repro project, because undoubtedly others are having the same rust problem.

On the '37 headlights, Duke Marley had a bunch of those lower springs made up by someone, but they all sold out years ago.   Frankly, when I first bought my Terraplane in 1971, my bottom spring was "gone" so I used some of that strapping steel and fashioned my own (using my limited supply of tools and knowledge).  And it worked, until I was able to purchase a good one.  Here again: take a photo and e-mail it around.  Someone might have one kicking around, and not know what it is!

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Thanks Jon. I will do as suggested and hope I get lucky.