optima batteries

Val
Val Member
Does optima make a 6 volt battery? When I go into their web site type in my car info it says no battery to fit my vehicle. 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes indeed, I think it's one of the red series.  There is just one 6-volt and it will be way smaller than the lead-acid battery you have now, so there is no problem with "fit".
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Jon
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    There are battery cases available if you want to make it look somewhat original?  This one is from Quail.

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    edited January 2017

I swear by the Optima 6V batteries and carry an extra "Yellow-Top" (deep cycle version) with us pretty much all the time. Good insurance. They can be mounted in all positions........ok......, they're clean and will out-crank any battery I've ever had, and, they outlast an ordinary lead/acid type by about two to one.  My two bit's worth.

Frank

• i like em. 
    only issue i have ever had is that when they go flat on you they are a pain to recharge. 
  • Right.....they don't like that at all. It's the nature of the beast and Optima (and others, I suppose) makes a charger to deal with that idiosyncrasy. Still time consuming, I'll guess.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

I ruined a good one in a 56 T bird by accidently leaving the "starting" 100+ amps on for about 10 minutes .

• Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    And theres nothing like two Optima Batteries.
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Theres nothing like two Optimas
  • Hudson Grandpa
    oops sorry bout that. But anyway when they go flat its time for a new one. The one on the right is 4  yrs old and still ginnin.
  • I found a good .source for Optima batteries.Very good price as of last summer Streetside auto.1877 787 8989. Less than $100 and free shipping for red top 6v.
  • Wow. At that price I wish I didn't already have some! Thanks for the tip.

Frank

• bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    edited February 2017
    Price is currently $112.59.  Still a lot cheaper than neighborhood O'Reillys or Advance.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/optima-8010-044/

UPDATE:  they're out of stock and the warehouse they pulled them from doesn't stock them anymore.  
  • And theres nothing like two Optima Batteries.
    Looking good, but cutoff switch set always negative wire, never positive wire. =)
    That`s work but otherwise is better.
  •  Lots of discussion on Positive or Negative disconnect; NHRA & racing rules or electron flow??

Disconnect both ??

>>>  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/battery-disconnect-positive-or-negative.211450/

Disconnect the ground regardless of whether it's positive or negative ground.

Polarity isn't a factor in that decision, grounding is. Of course, disconnecting both would accomplish the same thing since you'd be certain to get it right.

Frank

I'd guess that anything subject to NHRA rules is assumed to be Negative Earth. They probably didn't know there was anything else.

F