Brand New 308 For Sale

For Sale: 308 that was a crate motor that was still in the crate since '56. We completely stripped it down, went through everything, and installed a modern gasket set with the good timing cover seal.  This motor will fit in 48-54's. Standard crank/bore. The blocks are highly desired due to better valve relief to add better flow, and inhibit cracking of the valve seats. We upgraded the timing chain to a 21st Century True Roller and installed a 254 .372 solid cam. Installed 3 piece oil ring for better oil control. Factory Aluminum Head was Jet Coated. This engine has NEVER been in a car. $5300 with no intake/exhaust, distributer, and carb. Will include crank adapter. $5800 with 2 barrel intake, carb, electronic distributer (6 or 12V), and test fired/tuned on a run stand.

Randy Maas

maasfh@centurylink.net

309 267 6158

Comments

• maasfhcenturylinknet
    maasfhcenturylinknet Senior Contributor
    edited December 2016
    Motor is sold. Test fired it this evening and sounds strong. Video on HET facebook or Het fan club page. :)
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    That is pretty dang cool. Thanks for sharing Randy.
  • I'm super late to this party but could you give a few details about the story with this engine? Rare find like this are always fascinating to me! :)
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Unfortunately, Randy passed away recently, so probably not going to get the story. I was there when his son bought the engine at a National meet in Colorado from Gary Steinberg. It was still strapped to the original shipping crate. I tried to buy it but Russ was faster with the cash....
  • Unfortunately, Randy passed away recently, so probably not going to get the story. I was there when his son bought the engine at a National meet in Colorado from Gary Steinberg. It was still strapped to the original shipping crate. I tried to buy it but Russ was faster with the cash....

Unfortunately, Randy passed away recently, so probably not going to get the story. I was there when his son bought the engine at a National meet in Colorado from Gary Steinberg. It was still strapped to the original shipping crate. I tried to buy it but Russ was faster with the cash....

Very cool. I saw a pic recently of a JC Whitney ad selling Hornet engines. Was it something like this do you think?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

From my website... crate engines like this were JC Whitney  via Hudson 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited January 2021
    Sorry to hear about Randy did not know he had passed.  When I first joined the club back in the mid 80s he used to bring his drag car to some of the national meets. When he started it up it really made a racket!

BTW I bought the aluminum head that Randy took off that engine.
This discussion has been closed.