No action on Club Forum ???

53jetman
53jetman Senior Contributor
I've noticed the past couple of days that no one has been using the HET Club Forum (at least on my screan).   Has anyone else experienced this???

Jerry

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited November 2016
    Facebook is fine for social stuff but not for tech and problem discussions.  I rarely use FB.  Although Geoff posts great tech articles in the WTN, I find it also mostly meet news and a few historical items, plus the classifieds.  I am also in the Studebaker club and their monthly mag has a Q&A section plus often tech article.  Back not all that many years ago there were several tech writers in the WTN but all of them have gone into the Passing Lane!  I am sure that many newer members would appreciate Q&A and various tech items!  An out of the archives section would also be a great addition.

Yes I have checked the HET club forum and it rarely moves much.  

I will stick it out here with you guys.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Never posted there , to much hassle
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited November 2016

I see the comments and being the webmaster for the club forum I have to disagree of course with Ken.

I've never had (much of) a problem with anything and , as I have pointed out before, Facebook with many thousands of employees around the world and HET Forums (the "official" one and this free one) has me as the primary webmaster with Aaron (who developed the whole forum) so if there are sometimes glitches that take a while to fix - you know why ...

I am in the process of developing some "how to" videos and posts that explain the various mechanisms over on the club forum so watch that space :)

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks Paul....
  • Thanks, Paul. I also have never had a problem posting full photos and active links. To post a link you have to go up and click 'link (chain)' and then highlight and post. Also take out the Http: or you will have that in twice.

One thing I would like is to be able to delete the entire post is something happens, etc. Now you can't even practice what I said because the post will always be there even if you clear it; it will show up blank ( can't ever delete it from being there).

tks, again~~~ think it is a matter of folks not know how to do it and as a result: not doing it.

• DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Agree that forums are more tech oriented, and FB social.  But two forums is redundant.  Would love to combine forums into one, but know software will likely preclude this.  
  • Richard,

If you are referring to this forum when it comes to deletion of a post (not the HET), I discovered quite by accident I'm sure, that if you wish to delete a post, click the "save draft" button, then go to "my drafts" at the top left of the page. Your draft won't appear until you exit and return (those may not be the correct terms).

Look at "my drafts" and a digit will appear showing how many you have, then move the cursor to the far right of the text and an X will appear. Click that and it's gone. Note that the X will not appear until you move over to it.

I suspect everyone knew that but me.

Frank 

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Regarding posting of photos at the Open Forum, I've added an instruction over at FORUM-- INSTRUCTIONS AND TIPS (see menu at left side of this screen).  At the top of the list are "how-to's" on picture posting, PM's, etc.

I think it's great that we're on Facebook, so that we reach an even wider audience.  I myself do not "do facebook" because I already waste far too much time on the internet and don't need to get even further in the hole.  However, it strikes me that -- while our facebook page is lots of fun and chock full of pictures -- everything seems awfully "random".  Suppose you remember seeing an ad for a Hudson on the Forum a few months earlier and you want to re-check it.  You go to the "Vehicles" section of "Classifieds", scroll down a dozen or so postings, and there it is.  On facebook, it seems as though you'd need to scroll down through hundreds of random postings, "likes", photos and so on, to find that ad.  There is no organization.  (Possibly, if I were a registered facebook user, would I see some sort of organizational chart?)

Anyway, we'll certainly continue to maintain both forums for those who want to use them, for the foreseeable future.  As to the reasoning for the "H-E-T Forum", that was devised back in the days when the present-day "Open Forum" was part of a commercial old-car website, which had experienced infrequent "outages" and we were worried that we were subject to forces beyond our control.  So we started our our Hudson forum.  Shortly thereafter, that automotive website was purchased by a competitor and closed down.  And we were offered -- free -- the Hudson forum that had been part of that website.  So we were now the owner of two websites, an outcome we would never have predicted.  It seemed a shame to close either one down, with its thousands of helpful and interesting posts.  And as David C. says, above, there is no known way to combine them since the software is incompatible.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    DavidC said:
    Agree that forums are more tech oriented, and FB social.  But two forums is redundant.  Would love to combine forums into one, but know software will likely preclude this.  
    They are "sort of" combined David in that this forum is hosted and run from our main web site however to take the postings from here and move them into the forum software on the main club site would be a technical challenge. One that would certainly entertain me and I'm sure I'd enjoy but ultimately not something that is likely to happen.

There is also a subtle difference between the two as well in that this is the "Open Forum" so you don't need to be a member of the HET to join in here; all you need to do is register a username and away you go.

Over on the HET Club forum we have a few more rules as to who can post once of which is only "real" names are allowed and , of course, you need to be a member of the club.

So I believe there is room for the two (plus FB which I do use myself as well) and if it keeps the Hudson name in the frame then I'm all for it
  • I wasn't even aware there is another forum apart of this one.  how does one access it and where is it located?
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited November 2016
    Allan,

It's here and requires membership of the HET club to access the various parts of it. There is a zero cost "guest" membership available which gives access to certain parts of the forum but things like the Library require a paid-up membership
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Many have questioned the concept of having two separate Hudson forums on the internet.  I guess I'd turn that around and ask, what's the point in having two separate Hudson Facebooks on the internet?  Are there subtle differences between these, in terms of "content"?

And why make the third (Hudson truck) one require Facebook membership just to view?  Isn't the idea (as it is here at the Open Forum) to show off our cars to everyone on the internet?
  • Well, Jon B, Facebook is completely open, meaning anyone can create a page about anything they'd like in about 2 minutes.  Many people either don't check to see if there are similar pages, or simply don't care.  There are probably 50,000+ separate pages for Dallas Cowboys fans, for example (while only one is probably "official.")  My little town has about 15 different "yard sale" groups on Facebook, which makes it kind of annoying to have to search each one seperately for deals.

The fact they there are "only" 3 Hudson Facebook pages just shows what a niche interest it may be, in the grand scheme of things... :-)
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Both the Open Forum and the HET Forum are run by the Club and, as such, they are mutually referenced one to the other.  So, a potential Hudson enthusiast who stumbles into the Open Forum can read (at the top of the main page) about the Club and find its website. 

And the facebook that you administer also makes mention of the Club and its forums, so that a newbie happening into THAT facebook, can also follow links to other Hudson sites.

On the other hand, the Hudson Motor Car Fan Club doesn't seem to have links leading to any other Hudson websites, that I can see.  (Beyond those provided in the Calendar section.)  I can only hope that somehow a permanent link to other Hudson sites appears there, so that a websurfing Hudson lover doesn't stumble in, conclude that this is the only Hudson-oriented website, and never discover the larger Hudson world out there.  Since the facebook is privately run, of course, the owner is under no obligation to provide such links.

At any rate, every bit of publicity on the Internet is good for spreading the word!

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Not everyone is interested in being a " club" member.
    In the 60's and 70's , when printed contact in magazine form was the only choice , clubs served
    as a net work. Now you can have world wide contact with out the  printed page  magazine .
    You can see different photos of Hudsons every hour instead of once a month.
    As the 70 year old guys die off , the Hudson club will become obsolete.
    People that used it as their family will feel the loss , newer generations won't miss it , they have Facebook.

• lostmind said:
    Not everyone is interested in being a " club" member.
    In the 60's and 70's , when printed contact in magazine form was the only choice , clubs served
    as a net work. Now you can have world wide contact with out the  printed page  magazine .
    You can see different photos of Hudsons every hour instead of once a month.
    As the 70 year old guys die off , the Hudson club will become obsolete.
    People that used it as their family will feel the loss , newer generations won't miss it , they have Facebook.

Pretty much.
    A small niche club with a closed/segregated system that charges to access stuff that is already accessible else where online. Coupled with the fact its core demographic seems to be 65yr old and older. 
    Add in its main focus is restoration when alot of us who are less than half the core age dont want to restore but want to modify.

If i cant find my answer for what ever question on youtube or google i would just ask.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Sorry not buying it.  There will always be a need for a club. For example before cars there were horses.  Horses and the associated gathering and clubs did not go away just because most everyone got a car.  The same will be true with the clubs, not everyone learns everything from Facebook or Google.

Also hate to break the news not everyone wants to modify there Hudson.  While I will admit that is the phase right now I don't believe the world of original restorations is dead or will die.  Just because this is the rage on TV now does not mean it will continue at the frenetic pace.  But this to will have its place.

Just wait for self driving cars?  Do you think once we stop driving and are driven that everyone will want a self driving cars all the time?  There will always be someone to keep the hobby and clubs alive.

Also I am well under the 70 year mark, and the older I get the more I appreciate the older cars and the engineering that when into them.  I own a 1910 Hudson, a 22 Essex, a 37 Hudson, a 46 pickup, a 51 and a 53 Hudson.  While most of mine are stock (early ones), I enjoy playing with the 51 and 53 and modifying them.  The 53 has a stroked 7x with webers and I have not decided what to do with the 51 but I am buying parts.

There is a place for everyone and everything in these clubs which is why I like the Hudson Club better that others that I have belonged to.  Ok, I am off my soap box.

Jay

• Wish NZ had said car shows ><
    We got talent contests & cooking shows.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator

Who needs flesh-and-blood friends when you have the virtual world of web forums and Facebook?

The future belongs to social media sites, not to clubs with their tiresome human interaction, tech sessions, driving tours, car meets, flea markets, and hopelessly outdated concepts of helpfulness.

(Anyway, you don't need clubs for those sorts of activities.  They just...sort of...happen by themselves.)

Messages typed on a keyboard spare us the annoyance of dealing face to face with real people!  Clubs require effort to maintain, but social media are easily set up by a single person, and easily replicated when he loses interest.  And isn't it much more restful to sit alone at your computer than to drive to some distant car meet?

Yes,  internet groups alone, not clubs, will provide the coming Hudson network.  Like for example these invaluable websites   http://www.hudsoncollector.com     http://www.hudsonmotorcar.org/  which will carry us forward into the brave new club-less world that awaits us!   

• jase
    jase Member
    edited November 2016
    KustomKreeps, gotta respectfully but LOUDLY disagree with you. Of all the marque/brand clubs, as well as "type" clubs like SPAMFAA and PCS that I am or have been a member of, the HET club is the MOST welcoming as a general rule to non-restored and/or modified vehicles. I think a big part of that is the outstanding idea that Merritt Marks had all those years ago, to NOT judge the cars but just use the club as a network and "enjoy the people". I'm 45 years old, and among others have a 50 Hudson, a 56 International pickup, 63 Bug, 67 Lincoln 4dr Convertible, 54 Studebaker Starliner...(4) pre-war funeral cars...not even getting into motorcycles or airplanes. I happened to cross paths with a guy in my local Chapter, Mountain Roads (which I was NOT YET a member of) a few weeks ago. He happened to catch my Hudson in the parking lot of my buddy's dealership where I was going to work on it. We chatted for a bit in the parking lot, today I received in the mail my invite to the Chapter Xmas party this weekend, with a very nice handwritten note hoping to see me and a flat "bring the Hudson" request :). Now, say what you will, but what that random meeting contact said was that these folks are VERY welcoming of new members. It strikes me that at no time did Brett ask if I was keeping the car original, or anything else along those lines. He was just damned glad to see a "new to him" Hudson getting back road-worthy and being enjoyed. While I agree that times have changed, and technology has accelerated that change, I think what the HET club has done with their web presence is at the sharp edge of what any other car club is doing. The amount of info in the Member Library, freely available to any and all members with internet access, is STAGGERING. And all of this for $45/year?!!?!! Man, I spent that on dinner at freakin Cracker Barrel the other night. The real benefit, to me, is to have folks nearby, that I can call to work thru a problem, or send me a picture of "how this part it's SUPPOSED to be". There's a difference, maybe just to me, but it changes things when there's that personal relationship/friendship. It's not just a random schmoe on the web, but Fred...or Ted....or Brittany, who has texted or called, needing a bit of help or advice. I suspect that the desire to have the eyeball-to-eyeball "knowing" of people, will keep the *good* Marque clubs in business. Best, Jason
  • Brett is a great guy!  Helped me out a time or two, too.

Allan

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Agree that if you want an answer on something go here or facebook to get a reply, not the HET forums.
    There are a lot of HET members that are under 65, me included.
  • Hudson_in_Seattle
    edited July 2018

Hey guys – I’m a new HET member, and a just acquired a ’53 hornet sedan – I’m not new to collector cars (i'm 49 y.o) – I have been collecting early air cooled Porsche and old Mercedes for about the past 20 years – I have joined various clubs and online forums, dropped a few too, as I’m not into new cars or overly obnoxious posters

When I joined this club, I posted on the club forum and the old, or as I call it, the “open” forum – the responses were about 10:1 for the open forum – I also get now the white triangle mag, and I see the classified in there, which are not on the HET site – it’s not the most efficient or effective set-up to have 3 information delivery methods, but this is not uncommon from what I’ve experienced

I belong to forums that are completely open to the public, no paid membership – I belong to one club, private paid members only, that has no public access online – for me, the club which has the most similar age ranges for cars and owners as the HET club though, is the Porsche 356 registry – 356 production is 1948-1965, with 76,000 units produced – the 356 registry has 7,000 members worldwide – many of whom have no interest in anything after 1965

For the 356 registry, only paid club members get the magazine (the best i've seen), and only paid club members can post or sell on the online forum – the forum is open to the public - for those who don’t want to be paid club members can review and search, but not post or sell – there is also large % of the paid club members that will not go online, and they rely on the magazine only

I believe that this approach maximizes the motivation for folks to pay and to join the club, while still allowing the public at large to go online to view cars, events, etc – my guess is that folks now on the open forum who are not paid club members won’t be running to pay each year, but I think this should be up for debate, especially if this club wants to keep its numbers up

Regarding social media like facebook, I am not a participant for privacy and work related reasons – I do not see social media sites ever replacing car club forums, which are the most efficient place for specific folks to discuss specific cars – for example, do a google search on a Hudson issue, and the results will come back with HET club posts, not facebook results – that being said, I could be completely wrong about this as technology advances exponentially

Lastly, i think that the most effective way to keep the public and other car folks interest in HET's is to drive them, drive them, drive them!!! i've only read 2 issues of the HET mag, and i am dismayed at the lack of HET use for club meets, as well as excited to see HET's actually meet up, go somewhere, and get public attention (like the recent Gem State Chapter Meet) - Maybe its the lack of extreme weather here in the Great Northwest, but all the car folks i know drive thousands of miles per year in their collector cars, no excuses!!!!

just my $.02 – thanks for looking

This discussion has been closed.