Center point steering seals?

I am rebuilding the center point on my 51 Hornet. The bearings are so very obviously worn and the thing is frightening over 45 mph. According to the shop manual, there are two bonded rubber-steel washers that act as seals. The ones I have on the car are intact, even surprisingly spongy, but seem to have been beaten enough over time that I doubt they do much more than plug the gap between parts. The parts manual says they are PN 302553. Is there a source for such things? I'd replace them if there was an easy way, otherwise I suppose I'll just grease it more often.

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Charlie Harris does a great job re-building these units and swapping units with you. He even makes one with internal special bearings (in a stock casting) in it that is supposedly even tighter and smoother than a completely stock unit.  I plan on getting one and trying it out, as I have not tested one as of this writing.  They seemed to be a reasonable cost, although I can't remember exactly.  Replacing the whole center steering unit makes that particular job a relatively painless experience, particularly for those who don't have the tools or experience to rebuild one.  
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    20thcentury Hudson has them don't they?
  • Thanks Ken. After some research, it seems McMaster also has X rings in this size 
    1161N92

I'll see what the things look like once I have it torn apart.

R

• There was also another company that handles these types of seals. They helped me with a custom size in this type and style. https://www.alliedmetrics.com/seals/x-rings-square-rings/
This discussion has been closed.