axle nut torque setting

Hello all:
Can someone tell me the torque setting for the FRONT axle nuts? I have set the rear axle nuts at 120lbs.

regards

J

Comments

• Thanks Ken. I just replaced & repacked the front wheel bearings, replaced the wheel cylinders & brake shoes. I also replaced the rear wheel cylinders & brake shoes.

regards

J
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I just had a 39 Ford Convertible brought to my "resurrection" shop to "Get running and stopping" I found the front wheel nuts torqued to over 100Lbs!!! some people should not work on cars..LOL
  • Holy Pre-load, Batman!!! It's amazing that it made it to you. We see some pretty crazy stuff in this hobby.

Photo: Clutch hub loose? give it to this guy. He has the solution.

F

• Whether the outer bearing seized for some other reason than over-tightening of the splindle nut or not, there had to be some very audible indication of impending doom, a pull to the right and/or vibration prior to such a failure (I'm assuming that Ken wasn't at the wheel). If it doesn't feel right, sound right, smell right or otherwise is different, pull over and find out why. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled over because I smelled anti-freeze or hot brakes only to find it was someone else's car. Better safe than sorry.

Frank

• Sometimes the failure itself isn't the biggest problem....it's the collateral damage that can break the bank.

On "denial mode", I go there when a cop is approaching from my 6 o'clock, lights flashing. "He couldn't be after me!"

F

This discussion has been closed.