New member, 1949 491 super six

Just introducing myself and my new to me, but not new to my family super six. It was my great grandfather 's, then my uncles, and now mine. Looks like there's a ton of info here, I'll have to spend a little time looking around!image

Comments

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Welcome to the HET open Forum. What a great family Hudson heritage!!
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Welcome just ask somebody will know
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome on board, nova406!  I am assuming that you intend to keep the car in the family, and perhaps fix it up (or at least drive it!).  I'm not sure whether you're aware of the H-E-T Club, but if not you can find more information at the website, http://www.hetclub.org/ .

Where are you located?  There are still a number of local Hudson meets going on around the U.S. and you might live near one of them. 
  • I'm just south of the twin cities in MN. It has a stuck straight six in it, as of now I'm working on pulling it out to diagnose it's condition. I pulled the floor pan, any advice on engine removal? I read somewhere the easiest way was to pull off the grill and come straight out the front?
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Yup, pull engine and tranny together.  It's a little tight over the tranny crossmember and you may have to take out the tranny drain plug to clear.  Tranny needs draining flushing and refilling anyway.  Also, it's a lot easier to asess the clutch condition this way..

Depending on the last time it ran, the oil may run out and it may not.  In any case pull the pan and clean everything.

If a little solvent in the cylinders and on the valve stems won't free it, you'll have to take the rods loose and pull the crank and drive the cylinders out with a wood block and hammer..  (they WILL go down through which makes it easier.)  Good chance to check the main bearings and rear seal and the rod bearings, cam lobes etc.  It will probably need new rings. 

Depending on whether the valves are stuck and how tight, they may come out easily or not.  I had to jack them out with the adjusters on one engine, but that's not the norm.  email me if you get stuck HETcramerlp@roadrunner.com and don't use the HET

• Per
    Per Member
    Since you have removed the floor panel, it will not be difficult to get the engine and transmission out together.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

You don't have to remove the grill. Just the apron that has the hood latch on it. and the radiator. Of course the hood comes off too. A tip I have can offer. Before removing the hood hinge bolts from the hood.  (Leave the hinges attached to the cowl) drill a small hole through the hood and hinge on both sides next to the bolts (4 total). When you put it back on, all you need to do is use an ice pick to align the hood exactly like it was. I guarantee you will save a lot of cussing trying to get the hood to align like it was. It helps to have a second set of hands too!

Glad to see another 491 two door ..

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Boy, that's a great suggestion, Dave!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    A blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.
This discussion has been closed.