Power windows for a 49 Commodore

Is there any member that has installed a power window kit in their car? If so, can you tell me the brand you used and how much trouble they were to install? I've found three or four that appear to be decent units, but they vary in price by over $300.00. I don't mind paying more for something, as long as I'm getting a decent product.Thanks.

Ron

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited September 2016
    FYI

I have installed Power windows in several Hudson front doors using different Brands and they all work very well. ..Dakota, Specislity, Suto Loc,, etc.. Prices start at $175 with lit switches but Ive found even cheaper Kits on E bay
    (Personally, I stay away from Kits that go over your window handles because they just dont work that well. I install Kit's with brackets and motors inside of the door).

At first it may seem intimidating, but I think the hardest part is removing the stock mechanisms. Once out you install a single upright bracket by drilling and bolt to the side panel. They usually come with a 'pinch' bracket that holds the glass. I install new Channel from Vic Zamora Shop (HET Member).

Kit's have a motor that lays at bottom of door with a small bracket to hold in place ; You do need some patience to ensure the window slides up & down freely before final tightening.
    All the Wiring is Plug & play and you cant go wrong...Drill your door post for the left & right wiring and switches then enjoy...... .
  • RED GREEN!    Great stuff Ken. He was a true handyman Ductape and all.  LOL
  • Ken U-Tx - Thanks for the help, but I haven't been able to find a long enough extension cord or a 12 volt mixer.

Ol racer - I see what you mean about removing the stock setup. Even with a manual jt's a pain.The main concern I had was with the recess in the stepdown door. I wasn't sure if the motor should mount to that or at the door bottom.                                                                                                                                             I just got new channels, but I still need to locate the channel that attaches to the bottom of the glass, unless it comes with the kits. One of the members suggested a glass shop for that.                                           Thanks again for the info. 

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Wildrick Rubber Products... Glass setting rubber with water seal edge
  • Thanks, I'll contact them.
This discussion has been closed.