Electric Wipers 'Update'

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited September 2016 in HUDSON
FYI

Last Spring I posted how to easily install Electric Wipers on a Stepdown with Cables by placing a strap across the wiper bracket opening, fasten the Hudson Link to shaft, drill new mounting holes, then wire a Switch, utilizing an 'Oscillating' Motor..

However, a less expensive 360 degree rotating shaft Motor can be utilized by connecting the lower cable onto the upper cable using the 'stock connector' (or piece of .094 wire or cable clamps), then remove the other Hudson 'connector' so they dont clash when shaft rotates Arm 360. It has a full Sweep

Note: Need not notch Bracket. (I only notched to figure geometry that ended up using stock Link)

Universal 12V Wiper Motors are available Online anywhere from $60 up. (6V Motors are also available) I dont have a Part Number on mine but many Motors look similar. (Motor & Linkage Pictured)

I realize Wiper Conversion Kits are available for $225 & up but pieces of Hudson linkage must be adapted to the Kit anyway, while this conversion seemed pretty easy if your at all mechanically inclined.. Ive converted many Pre- Stepdown Wipers and wanted to take the mystery out of Cable operated wipers...

Comments

• Thanks for the ideas.

How about some options for a 49. Wanting to totally remove the assembly from in engine compartment. have a nice clean looking firewall. Nothing to take away from the new dressed Nailhead I will be putting in there.

Alex
  • Here is the elec. wiper that came with my '53 Hornet.This works very good.
    Do not know who sold it. It does have 3 wires so I would think it was 2 speed but haven't found that 2 speed switch yet.
    Does anyone recognize it?  Is it a 2 speed wiper motor.? Tks~~~

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Newport is the company, they make electric wipers for many vintage vehicles, 2 X speed is selected via switch provided with wiper kit.
  • Have the 2-speed Newport Engineering electric wipers on our Hornet.  Simple install and they work great.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks, suppose I need to look for the 3-way switch. Don't think I have been in rain but once since getting the car, and that was just a mist. But now I have something else to do. Looking at the wiring diagram at Newport but can't find any with the green wire? TBeilke, are you using the original wiper switch(as I am) or the optional switch by Newport?
    >>  https://www.newportwipers.com/images/MotorConnections.gif
  • Richard,

I am using the 2-speed switch provided by Newport Engineering.   Installed an original Hudson knob (fit perfectly) to maintain the original look.

Tom
  • tks again, Tom. Will have to check what I have !!! lol
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Don't forget the 57 chevy wiper motor option.  Pretty easy job, looks factory, and has 2 speed cable operated switch that mounts to stock cable.  Have to remove plate from vacuum motor that holds the pivot arms and attach with 4 screws to chevy motor.  
This discussion has been closed.