which Insurance ????

Any suggestions on what company any of you guys use for your Hudson? I'm new at this and not sure what company is reputable. Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hagerty........
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    All are reputable as far as I know. 

I have used J.C. Taylor for my Terraplane since the1970's and on the occasion of my only accident (in 1983), they paid up with no hassle.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Hagerty has treated me well over many years. Only one major claim  handled with professionalism..
  • Thanks guys has anyone dealt with American collectors?
  • Just a question? In the USA how much to you pay on average for insurance for your classic car? Here in Australia I'm with Shannon insurance. My 36Terraplane is on club plates limiting me to 90 days road use over 12 months. ( club reg is about $146 compared to full reg of $780 per year) I pay $90 per year for a agreed value of $22250 if it's written off (me keeping the remains) or repair my car back to normal claiming against the other cars insurance should it be at fault - plus insurance to repair the other car if I'm at fault and of course 3rd party if I damage a fence or building etc. Just curious cheers Ken
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Most are Reputable. I use Hagerty as many of my friends around here do as well....
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    ken1962 said:
    Just a question? In the USA how much to you pay on average for insurance for your classic car? Here in Australia I'm with Shannon insurance. My 36Terraplane is on club plates limiting me to 90 days road use over 12 months. ( club reg is about $146 compared to full reg of $780 per year) I pay $90 per year for a agreed value of $22250 if it's written off (me keeping the remains) or repair my car back to normal claiming against the other cars insurance should it be at fault - plus insurance to repair the other car if I'm at fault and of course 3rd party if I damage a fence or building etc. Just curious cheers Ken
    Ken
    Here in NZ I pay $128 for the 1st Essex Coupe & $90 for the 2nd Essex Coupe for full insurance with no mileage limits. The insurance company is VERO who sponsor a lot of vintage motoring here in NZ (reputedly they dropped $250k into a recent International Rally. My only claim was 12 years ago & they paid up with no quibbles. It's has not to like them but they have no other insurance from me.
  • Yeah Hagerty seems to give me the most freedom to drive the car. KEN 1962  not sure if this helps but American Collectors gave me a quote of $297  per year as a driver and $ 101 per year while in restoration.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Val, it would probably be a good idea to contact all the major antique auto insurance companies for a quote.  Give them the year and body style of the car, the amount you would like to insure it for, and the liability limits you seek. Make sure to ask them if there is a limitation to the number of miles you can drive the car, per year.

Ask them if there is a limitation to miles driven per year, and what sort of limit they put on non-antique car event driving.  Obviously you would like the freedom to hop into the car for a trip to the ice cream shop, or maybe even to drive it on a short pleasure trip that isn't an actual old-car function, so you'll want to see what sort of leeway the insurance company allows for that sort of thing.
  • Thanks Jon and I have contacted Hagerty, American Collectors and JC Taylor. So far Hagerty gives me the most for the money and the freedom to drive outside of club events for trips and short commutes such as ice cream and some small errands .I don't know of any others 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited September 2016
    Have been using Grundy for over 20 years and have never had an issue. Very flexible driving outside of club and events, reasonable pricing.  Set your own value if less than $30K.

• 50C8Dan, I have not heard of Grundy, I will look into that also before I make a final decision. So far all have let me set my own value but Hagerty gave me the most freedom to drive the car with American Collectors giving me  the least. I suppose I can always make a change down the way if I decide one is best over the other. Thanks for the post and info.  
This discussion has been closed.