Rattle from engine compartment, timing chain?

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser

Earlier this summer my '53 Super Wasp developed a rattle that seems to be coming from the timing chain.  It's a somewhat light rattle that I pretty much have isolated to the crankshaft portion of the timing chain by using an engine stethoscope.  In fact you can feel the light rattle through the stethoscope when you place it against the lower part of the timing chain cover.  Nothing too loud or very metallic in sound, but it does become constant once the engine warms up.  The car otherwise idles and drives fine, though I haven't driven it more than around the block.

Here's what's interesting, the timing chain and gears were changed on this 262 engine back about 2009 and probably have no more than 5000 miles on them.  Someone who owns a '52 Hornet suggested that it could be the tensioner that's failing.  Didn't know there was one on a Hudson timing chain.

Any ideas what could be an issue here.  Thanks!

Please, no baby rattle or rattle snake jokes!

Dan

Comments

• railknight

Ken, The replacement timing chain was suppose to be one that came from 21 Century Hudson.  So, chain stretch may not be an issue here.  Still, the fiber pad on the snubber you mentioned may be tired and worn and perhaps is the cause of the rattle.   Wondering if this fiber pad/snubber is something that needs immediate attention.  Anyway, thanks for the input! 

Something else I didn't mention.  The rattle began on a day I drove the Super Wasp a little harder than usual.  While going to the car show on I-355 near Arlington Heights, IL, I noticed a small parade of vintage cars led by a '57 Chevy in the right hand lane all poking along at about 60 MPH.  Thought I'd show everyone that the Super Wasp still had some guts and decide to fly past everyone around 75 MPH.  Later, the driver of the Chevy came up to my Hudson at the show to express his admiration for my car and the speed I was going when passing him.

Maybe I pushed the Super Wasp a bit too hard that day leading to this timing chain noise!

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited September 2016
    When the chain was replaced did you examine the seal surface on the crank shaft sleeve? The seal at times will wear the sleeve. If this sleeve is worn and a new seal is installed in the chain cover, the result sometimes will be the original sleeve damage will create an uneven support (albeit intermittent) that creates seal noise and eventual seal failure. Maybe the cause of your noise?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Does anyone have a source for that "special" tab washer? I just used my last good used one on my 8 cyl.
  • railknight

Ken,

One of the first things I checked was the big crank bolt for looseness.  Seems tight like it should be.  When the engine is running and the rattle noise is present, if you put your fingers, carefully, against the timing cover by the crank gear it feels like little pebbles knocking against the cover.  I don't know if a loose crank bolt or harmonic balancer would cause that.  The timing chain was replaced before I purchased the car so I never saw how the work was carried out, but I'm quite sure it was done correctly.

Based one what's been suggested here, I feel a little better about driving the car about two miles round trip to a local car show tomorrow. 

Thanks for the comments by all,

Dan

Dan

This discussion has been closed.