1953 Jet-2 door

What kind of engine can I use in a Jet that won't die in a city and will let me have a more drivable Hudson?

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I have owned my '53 Super Jet since Oct. 1966, and it has never let me down on the road.  The original engine is more than capable of powering the car IF it is tuned according to info in the mechanical procedure manual. You can down-load a copy of the Jet Mechanical Procedure Manual from the club library, or just down-load the pages you need for what ever you happen to be working on at the time.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I have had my Jet for 45 years, and never had it fail apart form one time when it  suffered form vapour lock on an extremely hot day, on an extremely steep hill.   If you  have the proper heat insulation for the  fuel pump, and  deflector for the carburetor you should have no problem.  It seems extreme to  replace the engine for what is most likely a small issue
    Geoff 
  • Do you both drive yours daily?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Used to drive it for my work, in conjunction with my 1928 Essex, but  nearly 80 now, so don't use it as much.   Still available as a daily driver though.   Has always been a good reliable  and economical vehicle.  Has single carb, 3 speed o/d.   I would have no hesitation in driving on  long trip.   Very comfortable, and much more practical to use than my '53 Hornet, which has "Wow" factor, but a dog of a thing  aorund town.  
    Geoff 
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The Hudson Jets have a very high horsepower to weight ratio.  With Twin-H they were the quickest car in the US auto industry.   Why go to the trouble and expense to change the drive train?

What is the serial number on that Jet?   Hudson only made Jet 2 doors in 1954 and called the body style "club sedan".  All '53 Jets were 4 door sedans.   Unless you have a discovery to show us.
  • I don't have the serial number just a photo and I attached the page from 2017 car collector price guide. They didn't make very many but we have one and I'd like to drive it in the city as my car.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    The jet 202 engine is very reliable. Just like any other engine and even new ones, just give proper maintenance. EASY TO WORK ON!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Have you experienced any specific engine trouble, and if so, what?

Or, are you simply contemplating driving it, and worry that it's an old engine and thus might give you problems?

If you wanted to drive it regularly, you would be well advised to go over it from top to bottom, renewing parts and testing things to make sure it's in top shape.  Perhaps you can't cruise at 80 mph as you can with a modern car, but these cars were designed and built in the 1950's, for everyday usage.  People drove them regularly, hard, and across the country.  Naturally, all cars in those days required a bit more maintenance than today's cars, so you might have to change points, oil, and various filters more often than if this were a more modern car.   But overall, I think it would serve you well, so long as you take the time to renew the engine so it's at least up to 1953 standards.
  • May I add that on the other end of this issue is getting it stopped. Make sure the braking system is in tip-top shape. Some say the brakes were inadequate from the factory but I believe that if they're in proper condition and the car is driven sanely, they do just fine. However, in the absence of the mechanical back-up system used in the senior Hudsons, I'd recommend a conversion to a split-tandem system in place of the single circuit original version. My motto: "Make 'em stop before you make 'em go".

Frank

• LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    StillOut THere  saidWhat is the serial number on that Jet?   Hudson only made Jet 2 doors in 1954 and called the body style "club sedan".  All '53 Jets were 4 door sedans.   Unless you have a discovery to show us.
    Tbere were 2 door jets made in 53. I have a 53 and the title called it a club coupe. 
  • 53jetman
    StillOut There - I can verify that there are truly '53 Super Jet Club Sedans.  We have at least 12 of them in the hudson Jet Registry.  The earliest serial number I have is 2C237707 which would have been built in March of 1953.
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    Jetman-I don't think I ever registared my car with you. I think I sent the info to Sara some time ago. It is a Super Jet Club coupe. #2C264598. 
  • 53jetman
    Thankx for the info.  Would like  to have your full name and address,and approx. date you purchased the car.  My e-mail:  HudsonJetman@yahoo.com
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    53jetman said:
    StillOut There - I can verify that there are truly '53 Super Jet Club Sedans.  We have at least 12 of them in the hudson Jet Registry.  The earliest serial number I have is 2C237707 which would have been built in March of 1953.
    Thanks, I'm still learning.
This discussion has been closed.