28-29 Hudson phaetons

Hi guys, just out of curiosity I thought I'd start a thread topic about 28-29 Hudson phaetons, 5 passenger, 7 passenger, duel cowl, with the idea of posting photos (new or old) and maybe getting an idea of roughly how may still survive!
To kick things off I've started with an old photo of a 29 Briggs body 7 passenger that was in service here in Hobart Tasmania as a new car, unfortunately there is no trace of this car having survived into the modern world!
Happy posting :) 

Comments

• Great photo. Wooden wheels on the 29. Very unusual for a duel cowl.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The day I was blessed to use Harold Jornt's unrestored '29 H Biddle & Smart dual cowl phaeton in filming a "short" that was used as a time filler for a stage production of the play "Rose".  Filming was done at the large acreage that was the set for the old US TV series "Little House on the Prairie".   It was about a 25 mile drive to the location.  Probably did 5-6 miles of takes and retakes during the day.   Some 10 children were involved and shown riding in the car in '30s costumes.  My wife drove out in the '53 Super Wasp brougham bringing lunch.
      Unforgettable day.   Harold is gone.  The car is in a northern CA collection and remains unrestored to my knowledge.  
  • Great photo. Wooden wheels on the 29. Very unusual for a duel cowl.
    Thanks Paul, yes very unusual for the wood wheels on a long wheelbase car, it's not a Biddle & Smart duel cowl though it's a Briggs 7 passenger.

• Fantastic photo and story, thanks for sharing! That's the 29 known as the "rodeo car" if I'm correct, had been used in rodeos (in the 50's?) with horses jumping over it as part of the show and missing the rear windshield. Great that it has survived unrestored for so long. 
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited August 2016
    Bob Hohenforst's, taken this summer with the inimitable Jon Battle et al in attendance
  • Uncle Josh
    edited August 2016
    Ed Moore's at Saratoga, 2016  He has another one that was butchered to make a tow truck I believe
  • Uncle Josh
    Hostetler's Museum, Shipshewana
  • Uncle Josh
    Reno NV Museum about 2009
  • Uncle Josh
    I have the SN and locations of about 13 of these of the original 16.  One is in Australia I believe, another in Western NY.  Hohenforst's originally was bought new by Walker LaRowe, Northville, NY my hometown and I grew up seeing it in all the parades etc.  It is now in Johnstown, NY, was re-painted a couple of years ago and is getting a new top.
  • This is the Australian duel cowl
  • And another 29 duel cowl
  • Another view of the Aussie car
  • Seven passenger phaetons seem to be even rarer, this is the only image I've ever seen of a restored one.
  • Rog2
    Rog2 Member
    edited August 2016
    This is my 1928 5 seater phaeton, body by Smith and Waddington, chassis imported into Australia by Dalgety & Co. The car is now in England, I believe it got here in 1979.
  • Rog2 said:
    This is my 1928 5 seater phaeton, body by Smith and Waddington, chassis imported into Australia by Dalgety & Co. The car is now in England, I believe it got here in 1979.
    That's a sharp looking Essex, I like the colour scheme.
  • This one is a 28 Hudson 5 passenger with an Australian Holden body, restored in Tasmania in the 1970's
  • Another couple of old photos of long wheelbase Briggs body 7 passenger cars, the one with the 2 ladies is a photo dating from 1935 in Portugal and the other is from about the time of the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932.
  • Rog2
    Rog2 Member
    The ex-Tasmania car looks great
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Eden29 said:
    Fantastic photo and story, thanks for sharing! That's the 29 known as the "rodeo car" if I'm correct, had been used in rodeos (in the 50's?) with horses jumping over it as part of the show and missing the rear windshield. Great that it has survived unrestored for so long. 
    Yes, it has been called "rodeo car".  No longer remember when the 'show' use happened.  The second cowl and second screen were removed and lost.  But Bill Harrah's craftsmen made a new second cowl and castings for this car easily four decades ago now so the parts are all there.   Current owner could provide update.

• Here are some 29 short wheelbase Briggs bodied 5 passenger phaetons, notice the red one has the windscreen from a duel cowl on it.
  • Uncle Josh
    I think this was an ad picture
  • Uncle Josh
    Side shot of Hohenforst's
  • Thanks Uncle Josh, is Hohenforst's car the same one I posted a couple of pics of above, now with black wall tyres? 
  • Another 5 passenger 29
  • Uncle Josh
    Eden29 said:
    Thanks Uncle Josh, is Hohenforst's car the same one I posted a couple of pics of above, now with black wall tyres? 
    Nope, Bob's car has the 2 horns and running lights...and whitewalls
  • Eden29 said:
    Thanks Uncle Josh, is Hohenforst's car the same one I posted a couple of pics of above, now with black wall tyres? 
    Nope, Bob's car has the 2 horns and running lights...and whitewalls
    Interesting, the other one with NY licence plates on it must be the one you mentioned is in western NY has the same colour combination, like a pair of twin brothers!
  • Almost forgot this one, the old 1970's poster and a couple of recent photos of the same car!
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

There is a 1929 in Salt Lake City that will have a frame off restoration completed in the next few weeks.  Judging by the work of this professional shop it will be a 100 point car.  I saw some of the photos of the car last weekend from the owner.  Not a 28/29 but there is also a 1930 one in Salt Lake. 

• There is a 1929 in Salt Lake City that will have a frame off restoration completed in the next few weeks.  Judging by the work of this professional shop it will be a 100 point car.  I saw some of the photos of the car last weekend from the owner.  Not a 28/29 but there is also a 1930 one in Salt Lake. 

Hi Brownie, Fantastic stuff, can't wait so see some photos of it, it's another duel cowl I presume? I did hear there were two Biddle & Smart 29 phaetons in Salt Lake City both owned by the same guy at one point? Apparently one was a custom built thing with no 2nd cowl? The 30 would be ultra rear too, may have to start a thread for early 30's cars!
This discussion has been closed.