15 inch rim option on 1947 Super Six?

I've been looking though the parts manual and noted that it gives an optional part number for 15" rims for the 1947 Hudson.  I bought my car from its first owner (who parked it in the back of his field around 1964) in 1981 (when I was 13).  One of the things "expert" old car people have noted is that I have the "wrong" rims as they should be 16".  Most of these people were 1940's GM product owners and this may have been more true for those cars. 

At the time the original owner said that the 15" is what came with the car when he bought it new in Wisconsin but I always thought maybe this was a change along the way that he just wasn't aware of.  This entry in the parts manual suggests that he did have these on the car when he bought it.  Two rims are damaged, but the other three are very good.  They appear to be the same ones that a '48 would have with the spring clips in the center. Does that make sense or would it be more likely that they were 16" originally?  Any benefit going back to 16" and finding a set or would it just make more sense to get two more 15" that match the other three given the availability of the Coker Classic and similar radials in 15"?  Just curious what people think. 

DRF

Comments

• 15" standard on Super series cars. That would include commercial vehicles(your truck)   16" on Commodore series standard. 15" could be ordered by customer for Commodore . Or 16" could be ordered by customer for Super series.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    I recall when I owned my '37 Terraplane reading Hudson literature that 15" wheels were a "new option" for that car.  
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

16s will let you buy a taller tire.  Which should get you down the road faster on the same RPMs, but you will loose a little get up and go.  So if you want speed (sort of) go 16s and a tall tire.  Did this on my 46 pickup......that and an overdrive and now I can do 55 without the little engine screaming.  Also I think it fills the wheel opening a little better.  But that is up to you.

Jay

• stbryson
    stbryson Senior Contributor
    Hello,

For what it's worth, the 1947 Price, Equipment and Option Folder shows 16 X 6.00 tires for the Super 6 (Model 171) and Super 8 (Model 173), and 15 X 6.50 tires for the Commodore 6 (Model 172) and Commodore 8 (Model 174).  

The 15 X 6.50 tires are listed as an extra cost option for the Super Models.

Cab Pickup (Model 178) shows 16 X 6.50 tires.

Tire specs are the same in the 1946 Equipment and Options folder.

The folders don't show a 15 inch tire option for the Cab Pickup, but I would imagine a person would be able to get them if they wanted.

Take care,

Steve
  • Thank you all for the replies.  My car is a 171 series Super 2dr Brougham and it looks like the owner probably did get it with 15 inch tires.  Others have told me that I'll want to find an overdrive unit, didn't realize that I'd be needing that for 55mph driving but it sounds like while the car is torn down, there won't be an easier time to install it and presumably shorten my existing driveshaft.

David 
  • A little math reveals that the '47 Commodores without OD (4.11:1 axle) is turning ~3250 rpm at 60 mph (using the wheel radius as it is on our car @ 12 3/4"R under load). That's pretty high for cruising rpm. 55 is ~ 3000 and 50 is~2700. I don't care to go faster than 55 in it anyway so 50-55 it is. The engine has a sweet-spot at that rpm anyway so it sounds pretty happy, however it does want to go a little faster. If you decide to add an OD transmission, it's a little more of a project than just putting it in and shortening the shaft, but will significantly reduce rpms for a given road speed and, you are correct, it will never be easier than now. The factory OD cars had a 4.56:1 axle (unless the optional 4.11 was specified) but there's no need to change that as it would simply take back some of the rpm advantage from the OD.

• David, Your car has a displacement of 212 cubic inches, I have a 2004 Honda Pilot (6 cylinder) which happens to have the same displacement. It is geared so that at 55 miles per hour on level ground the engine rpm is about 1500. At 70 mph the engine rpm is about 1950. The closer you can come to this kind of final ratio, the happier your engine will be! Per
  • hey what was standard on 49 hudson super 6 for tires?
    Mine are 16" rims. tires are overall 28inch by 6inch.

thought i read somewhere it is supposed to be 27" some one able to confirm?

thanks
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Your 49 had 15" wheels from the factory. Are you measuring the wheel at the bead mounting flat?
This discussion has been closed.