Has anyone painted a Hudson Steering Wheel.

hdsn49
hdsn49 Senior Contributor
I have 2 Commodore Steering Wheels that I would like to install on my two '49  Super Six Hudson's. Both wheels are nos and are completely different colors. At the Chattanooga national I purchased new center caps from Eshelman. They are completely different colors than both wheels. I would like to paint the wheels to match the new center caps. Has anyone ever done this before. Can you recommend the correct procedure and paint to use?

Comments

• BHLHH52
    BHLHH52 Expert Adviser

I filled several cracks in the 52 steering wheel with JB Weld (filed them out to get enough surface to adhere to), sanded, primed with plastic bumper primer and color coated (several coates) with spray can laquer.  It has lasted 8 years so far with a high gloss without any cracks, chiips or wear through.

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    A car painter near me did both of mine, "56-'57, for $100 each, and they look like new and match. But these Nash, AMC steering wheels did not crack like the Hudson factory ones.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Painted mine with 2 pack.
  • allan
    allan Member
    Painted my '47 wheel with red lacquer 45 years ago and still looks new.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I used Appliance (refrigerator) ivory epoxy rattle can on a 51-53 and it lasted three years ,,so far. I did use some JB Weld. I was not trying to match any color. I would be interested in knowing what matches the 48-49 commodore color. My convertible needs to be redone.
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    I used Omni MBC 25392 two-stage urethane on my '54 ivory steering wheel. Turned out well.
  • I sanded it, then used a 2k primer surfacer from Eastwood. Sanded it lightly again and painted it with paint from NAPA. I took them a piece of the dash and they matched it perfectly. Came out very glossy and it looks great in my 47.
This discussion has been closed.