Muffler recommendations

Hey all

My 51 had a pretty shady exhaust when I bought it. It has since fallen off the car and needs redoing. My Hornet has Twin H/Hydromatic and is totally stock under the hood. As much as headers would be desirable, this car needs a rebuild before getting anything fancy, so I am looking for recommendations for a muffler. I'll be keeping the single stock manifold for now, unless of course someone has a manifold splitter laying around.....

Muffler technology is not something I deal with often, maybe once every 10 years or less. Right now it sounds like a tractor. I'm looking for something more of an authoritative rumble. Anyone got a recommendation?

R

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Personally I like stainless, aluminized is a distant second.  Waldrons make some of the best for the old car hobby.

You can get just mufflers too.

I have had Stainless on my car for years now without any problems.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Certainly you can't get better than stainless!

However, I had my entire exhaust system replaced back in '85 with (what I believe is) aluminized steel.  After 31 years it's still solid as a rock.  The late Jim Fortin supplied the exhaust; sadly, he passed away several years ago.

I think the aluminized will be cheaper than stainless.  I guess in the end it depends upon how many decades you intend to keep your car.

One thing I did, that may have extended the life of the muffler: I drilled a tiny weep hole in the underside, at the lowest point of the muffler, for drainage.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited July 2016

If your car is not restored and is in need of quite of a lot, you shouldn't spend a lot on muffler or exhaust system at this time.

You get the longest glaspack you can find that will fit and it will last for years and years until you are ready to do something else.  You can get one 26" long for $30.00  and that is low priced in my book !!  My dual system is $400.+ from the headers back but car is restored.
    for instance>>  http://www.jegs.com/pt/Exhaust+Muffler/4294961153?N=4294961153+30+4294955998+4294961149+4294955308&Nrpp=20&Tab=SKU

• Photos of dual exhaust system. Shows extreme closeness, but doesn't rattle or bump.

>>  https://goo.gl/photos/S9PG2unDdRhuKpPd8

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Use Waldron for pipes and mufflers. They are also knowledgeable about how the pipes should bend and fit properly.  There is another outfit that serves the antique and classic car market that you should AVOID at all costs. They used to advertise in Hemmings . Nothing but trouble .Jon is right about the pipes. Stainless is great but if you drive a lot stress cracks stainless. No so with aluminized steel. They also will last a very long time.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Just run a Thrush or similar that you can throw the cat thru.  Sounds nice too.  Quieter than you might think.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Just finished the system on my 54 with Twin H.  My engine is what would be called "Beyond 7X".  I have completed one other build of this type of setup.  It is all custom work in stainless.  I go with as large of a pipe that I can and custom build and fit back to the muffler (Flowmaster built for a specific back pressure).  Then using the same size pipe it goes back to the rear bumper.  I add a tail pipe cap on the end.  With this build I put a "cutout" just before the muffler with a cap under the passenger door.  With this set up I get a good sound without back pressure or back fire.  I can also open the cap and have a loud sound if I want.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited July 2016
    Lance is referring to Kapich exhaust as the one to stay away from..  Sadly mine came from there back in '86 before I knew better.  The SS is fine and has not had any cracks or problems but it needed rebending and some adjustment as it did not fit quite right.  Go with Waldron if you decide on a new exhaust.
  • Brownie, why don't you put up photos of your system. Sounds interesting to see and where it all comes from. Perhaps someone would benefit from seeing them.  I posted above 15 photos of my system so someone might see something they might not have thought of~~~~
  • Has anyone installed headers and managed to run them neatly one on each side? Any photos?
    Thanks
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Richard, posted a few videos on our Hudson, Essex, Terraplane Facebook page today.  Enjoy
This discussion has been closed.