Hydramatic stuck in Lo

I posted this on the other club forum, but many advisers make victory sure

Yesterday, while heading to the exhaust shop -a different post- I had a situation where the Hydro in my 51H wouldn't shift out of first. It is a single range Hydramatic and I suspect that it gets confused between Lo and Drive since they are right next to each other on the quadrant. After several jigglings from N to Lo, it selected itself the right mode and worked fine for the rest of the day.

It ran fine all afternoon and I ran my errands.I guess technically I don't know if it is dependent on operating temperature or not. The car sat for a number of years before I got it in February, so some of its gadgets are acting up now that they are being used again. I suspect that there is a linkage or something or perhaps a cam somewhere that is causing it to go into Lo instead of Drive. Is there a particular widget in the linkage somewhere that is a known problem to look at?

Comments

• Per
    Per Member
    Take a look at the linkage under the hood and where it connects to the transmission. it helps to have someone wiggle it while you are looking. There are rubber bushings where rods join arms. Most likely one of them is badly deteriorated or has fallen out completely. You can carve a replacement using a shock absorber bushing, or someone in the club can supply you with a reproduction of the original. It will be easy for you to see where the looseness is.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    If the governor valve is stuck , it won't shift. It's mounted externaly , easy to remove and disassemble
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

ODs have the governor mounted externally.....the Hydra-matic's governor is internal, or at least mine are.

F

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

ODs have the governor mounted externally.....the Hydra-matic's governor is internal, or at least mine are.

F

Sorry for the misinformation. It's obvious it's been awhile. I suggest using the online manuals
    for correct info.

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

It occurred to me later that you may have meant "regulator" which would have been correct as it's accessible from the outside.

F

This discussion has been closed.