Clutch plate thickness

pmlmbigpondcom
pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser
G'day All, What is the correct thickness of a slightly used ( compressed) cork clutch plate pls? - 10 inch dia After 500 miles mine is one eighth of an inch through the corks and steel, total thickness. It looks like very little cork protruding but maybe that's correct ! Thanks phil

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    The half dozen on my garage wall run .150 - .170   You're in the ball park and it'll probably increase a little when it's in an oil bath.  Run it.
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Somewhere I saw a specification for new/re-corked discs at .210". 150.-170. sounds like a serviceable used disc but .125 is pretty thin. I'd expect the outer edge of the corks to be breaking off by then. Just my opinion, but as difficult/expensive as it is to get back in there to replace it, I don't think I'd risk it.

Frank

• Per
    Per Member
    If it is the same thickness all around, I'd use it. I once had a '46 Hudson which had a clutch which did not slip, but engaged too abruptly. When I took it apart, I found that there were no corks left in it at all! I put corks in it. The total thickness (before putting it back together again) of the disk was 1/16" for the metal, and 1/16 cork sticking out each side, for a total thickness of 3/16".
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    May have been done here in Oz, but, would not know who would have done it,as for about 26 years we have been using Kevlar on our plates,still running ATF. The reason we changed to Kevlar was ,we were unable to buy decent corks, only this week ,had two members ringing wanting their clutches done.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The figure I have for new clutch thickness (provided to me by Huddy42 some time ago, I don't claim to be an expert) is .218" to .225"

There are hundreds of thousands of forklifts being used and abused daily around the world that have oil clutches with Kevlar facings rather than cork. There could be a reason for that.

If you contemplate swapping to Kevlar, I got mine done by BCA Friction Materials in Minto NSW, but I imagine that any clutch place that gets involved in the industrial side of the market will be able to do the job.

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    WHY PLAY WITH OTHER THINGS WILDRICK RESTORATIONRECORKS CLUTCHS THEY ARE THE BEST BAR NONE 

• Huddy42
    Paul, we are not saying there is anything wrong with Dr Dougs. Just stating what we do here  in Australia. Have had a Kevlar in my '42 for 26 years, still going strong.Would hate to think how many others I have done over the years.  Dr Doug does yours,I do ours mainly because of the distance factor.
  • pmlmbigpondcom
    pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser
    The plate was a "remanufactured" NOS item in a "Hudson" box, purchased from USA.

So, now I need to consider if there really is sufficient thickness for longevity !!!

Uncle Josh, mine at .125 is less than the items you have and as it has been in an oil bath in operation it won't be getting any thicker - particularly when it is clamped by the pressure plate

I think I'll investigate the kevlar

Thanks to All,

Phil

I'll be going the Kevlar route on my next clutch replacement. Aside from deviating from "correctness" I don't see a downside, esp in light of Huddy's positive experience.

(Note to Doug: not the 484)

Frank

• Huddy42
    Just make sure they put lots of Criss cross cuts in the Kevlar.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    What Huddy42 said. If you look back through this thread there are photos of 2 different Kevlar clutch plates. I imagine wet Kevlar forklift clutch plates would get a very similar treatment.

• Huddy42
    Bob, is that one of my plates.??

I envisioned shallow slots in the facing but I'm sure that the folks who routinely provide that service are experienced in the procedure. As the plate is gripped, there must be a path for fluid to escape.

Frank

This discussion has been closed.