36 rear axle inner seal

bob ward
bob ward Senior Contributor
I'm looking for a pair of inner seals for a 36 rear axle. Dimensions are 1 3/8" ID x 2 3/4" OD x 5/16" thick with an unusual 1/8" deep rebate on the mating face.

Anyone have a source for these, there is nothing like it in the modern seal catalogues I've looked at.
And out of curiosity, is this the same as the inner seal fitted to pre Dana step-down diffs?

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Bob, yep same seal. I have a pair of NOS seals if you need them Bob.   email me at  HEThornetllw@yahoo.com    Drop the HET when emailing.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited July 2016
    Bob, Never had any trouble getting these from your usual bearing/ seal supplier.Naturally they are neoprene and not the old felt type, I threw all my old felt types out as they had dried out. The ones I have on my shelf are KOK brand Part number TC12082 size is 1.375. 2750. 0.375. These are the same from 1936 thru 1952 I used these in my 1942 Hudson. The old sealco number is 1188. Outer is 1302.
  • bob ward
    Thanks Les. I had seen the 3/8" thick seals in the catalogues and was worried they would be way too thick and bind on the wheel bearing. I took it that Hudson used the rebated seals for lack of space reasons. 

But if you say you've used them, that's good info.
  • bob ward
    Had a look at using 2.75" x .375" seals but was worried about the very fine clearance between the seal and the bearing and the fact that the clearance will change when shimming the bearings. 

Decided to go with 2" x .375" seals and adaptors to fit them into the axle. One advantage of this method is that the adaptors can be made so as to move the seal away from the bearing. The original style seal had around 3/16" clearance to the bearing, I've got 1/8" clearance which is quite sufficient.

Adaptors

Adaptor fitted to axle

Seal fitted in adaptor
This discussion has been closed.