308 hydraulic lifters

dave11
dave11 Expert Adviser
I understand (maybe incorrectly) that some of the last production 308's came equipped with hyd lifters? 
Also there may be some lifters available from another manufacturer that are still available which will fit my 52 ?

Dave Eddie

Comments

• Marconi
    Marconi Senior Contributor
    Supposedly all the 56 308s had them, it was virtually impossible to adjust the valves with the engine installed in the Nash body because of the spring towers.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited July 2016
    Answer is NO to both comments Dave11 asked if a company Is building replacement hydraulic lifers and if those lifters would fit his 1952 Hudson My answer is NO for both questions
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    Answer is NO to both comments
    No, meaning ?
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    He was a bit fuzzy on that one, wasn't he.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    See updated post
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Old

It was intended as humor since you obviously weren't fuzzy at all.

F

• dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser

Thanks gentlemen...know I know

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    In the past there have been discussions about Chrysler internals that fit into the Hudson cam follower. Has that avenue petered out?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Bob, I understand that the Chrysler solid lifter can be used in Step-down and Jet motors, but they are slightly longer and the tappet bolt has to be shortened, or something similar.  Haven't actually  checked it out psychically ,  but I know the bore and  bottom are the same.
    Geoff 
  • I'm in the process of building up a 308 and have been researching this topic also.

I have read that some of the other orphan flatheads were using the old continental lifters and some were modifying them to fit different applications.

My other thought was increasing the lifter bore size to use a more avail lifter.

My concern is my lack of motivation to tear a recently put together vehicle/engine to adjust the mech lifters regularly. Some I have talked to basically said they rarely adjust them.

My 308 will have the headers so the min would be the removal of the intake and exhaust manifold each time. The alternative would be the old way and remove the inner fender and hope I can work behind the headers.

Neither option sounds too favorable with a new engine and paint on the car.

So how are others doing it? How often?

• maasfhcenturylinknet
    maasfhcenturylinknet Senior Contributor
    Stay with the stock lifters.  Its not that hard to pull the wheel and inner panel to adjust behind the headers. The second adjustment after the rebuild should be good enough.
  • maasfhcenturylinknet
    maasfhcenturylinknet Senior Contributor
    Concerning chrysler lifters, I use them all the time for my stage 1-4 motors.  Use smaller length valves and chev springs with dampners to help with harmonic control.
  • BillUSN1
    BillUSN1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Concerning chrysler lifters, I use them all the time for my stage 1-4 motors.  Use smaller length valves and chev springs with dampners to help with harmonic control.

Randy,

Can you expand on this any more?

Part #s, any machining required?

Are the Chrysler lifters just a solid lifter option?

Thanks

• bob ward
    My memory of previous discussions is that the Chrysler hydraulics could be fitted with some alteration to the Hudson hydraulic cam followers. But then I've been wrong before.

• Thanks Ken.

Here's what I'm looking at.

The early Lycoming /continental style hydraulic lifter.

http://occonline.occ.cccd.edu/online/rfoster/The%20Rest%20of%20the%20Story-%20Valve%20Lifters%20and%20Tappets.PDF

If they can still be found and made to use in the Hudson.

The alternate would be machining the lifter bore dia for a more modern "barrel" style hydraulic lifter.

• bob ward
    Fascinating reading, thanks for posting.
  • karl
    karl Member
    Back in the early 60's we raced Hornet engines on a dirt track in up state N.Y. I used mopar flat head lifters in my engines. What I remember is that the threaded  area of the lifter was to long .I simply cut some of the thread off with a hack saw  to shorten the height. The top of the Hudson adjustment screw screwed right in as the threads are the same. For what its worth, it worked out fine.Karl
This discussion has been closed.