Off to Body&Paint

Frankvintagefullflowcom
Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

We just delivered our Hornet to a local shop to prep it for Paint. The body is fairly straight and rust-free so that work should be minimal. The project began as a crack repair in the #6 intake valve seat and just grew from there. There's never anywhere to stop.  I can post a few shots as we go.

Comments

• 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Looks good. Are you going same color.
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom

We originally intended to keep it as #66 "Dark Platinum" but may deviated slightly to achieve a little classier look. It would appear largely the same from a distance. That's still undecided but there's plenty of time to make that decision.

Attached is the "before" shot. This was taken on the return trip from the San Mateo Nats a couple of years ago, somewhere along the Cal/Oregon Coast.

F

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    It's beautiful car Frank.  If it were mine, I wouldn't change a thing !

Jerry,

There were just too many things that needed attention for me to stop sooner. Once I got to a certain point, it became evident that the paint would never be easier to do than now. I've seen too many re-paints that didn't give sufficient attention to the details to be called a good job. Beautiful 20 footers, but not so hot up close.  I'm just picky that way......and others.

F

• Frank  The car will be great when done,looks like a very nice car to start with,body looks very nice
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Frank, what hit the sunvisor?

K,

A bullet........ and I don't mean one of the fake, stick-on wounds.

I'll be leaving that "as is". It's part of the legend.

F

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member

K,

A bullet........ and I don't mean one of the fake, stick-on wounds.

I'll be leaving that "as is". It's part of the legend.

F

Jealous Husband??  LOL!
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Frank,

Looking forward to reading more about your tune-up gone awry.

John

• Me too.  Looks like you started with a good one to begin with...k

RL,

That's one of the many legends I've told about the hole. It has been a great conversation starter over the years and I have told the body shop that the bullet hole stays

One,

Bite me. (that would make far more sense if you had been at the W/R @ Diamond Lake Resort).

Keith,

It is a very solid, largely unmolested car from a dry climate. The floors don't even need attention. There should be almost no body work to do, but we'll see, when it "gets naked".

F

Here's the unofficial Meet "T" for the Western Regional.

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Frank, the 53 Hornet Sedan I am working on was a Kansas car almost it's entire life. I was really anticipating not having to do any rust work.  Wrong---- I still had parameter frame repairs to make and the bottom of both quarters and front floor pans.
     You could not see the quarter rust until I pulled them. Still it was a lot less than the Texas 53 Wasp Sedan was.
    I've yet to do a car that took less work than I thought it would need.
  • Here's the unofficial Meet "T" for the Western Regional.

LOL, yep I can verify this. First thing I did was go to the general store and pay $10 for a can of Off. Beautiful scenery tho.

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey Buddy,
    Love the "T"!
    And car is looking great! Cant wait to see it after paint.
    Jeff

Doc,

I don't know if you were aware, but there is a bridge down in Klickitat Co. that was named after Al Henry. He was a politician back in the day and was elected to his position in '51, .......maybe not too coincidental that the Hornet is a '51.

We had known of the bridge but didn't know where it was 'til we were on our way to Colorado Springs and drove across it. Had it not been for Patty's "Eagle Eye", we'd have never seen it. We went back and took a few photos. Too bad we weren't driving the Hornet at the time but there's always the next trip. Maybe the maiden voyage after the restore job?  That would be appropriate, I think.

Frank 

• I like this URL shortener rather than google's>>>   http://tinyurl.com/
  • onerare39
    edited June 2016
    Frank,

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  I learned this from writing obituaries.

John

1rare

I can't wait to read what they say about me. Its gonna take a real pack o' lies to make me look good......assuming they'll try. Are you still a hired pen?

F

• It's a beauty, Frank! Thanks for sharing. I definitely empathize with the repair-gone-wild. Our ignition issue became a full wiring harness replacement.  LOL
  • onerare39
    Frank,

I wouldn't know where to start, or end.  I would need to work in two words; hedgehog and turkey baster.

John

John,

No thanks.....I can't trust something a important as my obit to a guy who can't even spell "bastard".

F

Naked and unafraid, here are a couple of progress shots of the Hornet Coupe taken a few days ago. Hopefully, the forum censors won't notice that Patty got a couple of nice calendars in the background....speaking of naked and unafraid.

Frank

• "Motor by Frank"

Ha!! Now that's a good one. Seems I saw a similar statement on another '51 Hornet recently.

F

• TWIMC

First coat of etching primer......many more to go. It will be disassembled and re-assembled at least a couple more times in the process.

F

• All,

Well here it is, only a few short months later and the Hornet is wearing it's new paint job.  The variation in color is just differences in lighting. It should look pretty good in sunlight. 

Not much to say here except that I have a long ways to go yet before getting back to the initial project of changing spark plugs.

Frank

• Majumbo
    Majumbo Expert Adviser
    edited December 2016
    Looks good!
  • Very nice,its only time and MONEY

• Love the color.
This discussion has been closed.