Buyer Beware

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
I just stumbled onto this Ebay auction from last year.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s-Hudson-Essex-Terraplane-Service-30-Porcelain-Metal-Gas-Oil-Sign-/262041961850

The "Vintage 1940's" porcelain sign -- complete and aged -- sold for over $700 in September, 2015.

Stop me if I"m wrong -- but the design for this "vintage 1940's" sign certainly resembles the logo for the H-E-T Club, designed by D.C. "Doc" Daugherty in the early 1960's!  The word "Club" at the bottom, has been replaced by "Service", instantly making this a vintage dealer sign.

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I agree , They were sold through club store , made of alumnum
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I don't know if the ebay signs in Jon's post are the real deal or not, but there are a lot of repro 'aged' and 'distressed' signs advertising anything from oils to cars to aspirin on offer at second hand shops and swap meets. Its certainly a buyer beware market. I've even seen repro 50s 60s chest type Coke dispensers - looking suitably worn of course.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Ken U-Tx said:
    The sign looks to be steel, unless they have found sound ingenious way to make aluminum rust to a classic ferrous oxide reddish brown......Odd.
    What I meant was the one Doc designed was made of aluminum. that appears to be a modified copy
    made to look like an original Hudson sign.
    There are many fantasy signs made in India from google search photos.
This discussion has been closed.