Hello From Canada

Greetings from Southwestern Ontario.

I am new to the Hudson brand. I fell in love with an 1937 Hudson Terraplane coupe, I have put a deposit down on her and expect delivery within the week.

Presently I have a couple of more modern and mainstream vehicles, an 1949 Dodge Special Deluxe and an 1949 Chevrolet 3100 PU. I have joined forums for both these respective brands and gained valuable information in their restoration and maintenance.

I have enjoyed the ease of parts and manuals availability for my present vehicles.Now I join the hunt for the more elusive Hudson parts and information to restore and maintain my new pride and joy.

I look forward to researching and learning about my new Hudson on your forum, asking the odd question and maybe in a few years being able add some knowledgeable input.

Any recommendations for workshop manuals?

Regards, Nick

Comments

• 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Nick
    Where are you located?

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited June 2016
    Nick,

Welcome on board to the club. You'll find a wealth of experience here with a great bunch of folks; Canada is well represented both here and within the HET Club as well!

You'll be surprised at how un-elusive some of the parts may be and , as I said, with the knowledge within the club you'll never be short of advice or guidance.

If you haven't yet done so then please consider joining the HET Club (click to visit the web site). There are a number of downloadable manuals available from there and it gives you access to other parts of the club as well.

I've moved your post into the Hudson discussion group as well which opens it up a little more

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited June 2016
    Oh and Nick ; one thing you will always hear on here - photos , photos and more photos are always appreciated :)
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome on board, Nick:

The 1937 Terraplane is one of the most, if not THE most-represented pre-War car in the Club.  While parts are not exactly falling off trees, they are out there, and many of them interchange with other more popular (and newer) automobiles.  (Example: a couple weeks ago I picked up a new wheel cylinder and two front brake hoses at my local parts house, though they did take "overnight" to order).

(I'm biased of course, since I have been driving my '37 Terraplane 43 years now!  It's my only antique car.)

The Club and this forum are great places to gain information.  I would also heartily agree with Rick, above, in suggesting you join not only the international H-E-T Club, but also its Ontario chapter.  We have a lot of active Canadians!

You mentioned shop manuals: I believe our Club Store has them, they're also available from antique car literature sellers like Autolit.com.  And, if you register with the Club website, you can (I believe) have access to the online manuals to download.  (I can't recall whether a free "limited" registration includes that right, but if you actually join the H-E-T you get all the website privileges.)
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Welcome to the forum Nick. The 37 is a favorite car for many of the Hudson members. There are a lot of them in the club so you will not have difficulty getting needed information or parts for your car. Lee O'Dell.
  • 48Sed said:
    Nick
    Where are you located?

Near Ailsa Craig NW of London
  • Oh and Nick ; one thing you will always hear on here - photos , photos and more photos are always appreciated :)
    She is to be delivered on Sunday, so photos will be coming.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Probably the greatest "Hudson Resource" in the London ON area is Hedley Bennett,  182 Pension Lane, London ON.   E-mail address:  stitchinpretty@rogers,. com
  • 53jetman said:
    Probably the greatest "Hudson Resource" in the London ON area is Hedley Bennett,  182 Pension Lane, London ON.   E-mail address:  stitchinpretty@rogers,. com
    Thank you for the contact. I will definitely follow up with the lead.
  • She made it home safely, now for a bit of reconditioning.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wow, that's in great shape!  Puts mine to shame!  Was it under restoration when you bought it?  Looks like all the heavy lifting has been done, and you just need to add some minor trim (like door handles?). 
  • I got the door handles installed today. From what I have been told I am the third owner. It was in the original family until 2 years ago when it was purchased buy the gentleman who I bought it from. He was thinking about making a hot rod but decided it was in to original to go that route, he lost his storage and I bought the car. I was told that there was a frame off restoration  done from around 1998 to 2004. Supposed engine transmission rebuild  along with drive train, brakes, fuel tank, wiring, etc.. The frame and undercarriage is excellent, the body seems to have a fair amount of filler. But I still think she is an excellent survivor from Ontario winters.

The original owner thought the paint job from the restoration was not up to par so there are many patches with bondo.

So far I am missing three hub caps and the interior door cards and the rear licence plate mount and the Hudson logo on the trunk.

Engine smooth, clutch seems a bit juddery starting out in first. But I extremely happy with her.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The door panels are just that black waterproof cardboard.  You can get that from a place like Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pennsylvania. http://www.restorationspecialties.com/    There are L shaped clips that attach to the cardboard and poke through little slots in the door metal.  There are small holes in the adjacent metal, through which screws pass.  The screws engage holes in the L clips, preventing the panels from pulling away from the door.  It may be difficult to find these if you don't have them.  Possibly Ford or Chevy used something similar during the 1930s and someone might be repro-ing them.

I had slight shuddering in my clutch and used Doug Wildrick's version of Hudsonite.  It seemed to smooth out the clutch nicely.

Best bet on the license bracket is to contact some of the Hudson vendors who regularly advertise in the WTN. If you can hook up with someone who has a '37-8 coupe you could take pictures and measurements.  Won't be the same as a sedan, I'm pretty sure.  Once you get the info you can sketch it up and send it out to the vendors.  They may have one lying around and have no idea what it fits.

Hubcaps are easy to find....scratched and dented!  Buy the best you can, then gradually upgrade them as you run across better examples.  I've seen the logos pop up on Ebay from time to time.  Someone (was it K-Gap) was making repros a few years ago, you might find one of those!
  • parkerm
    parkerm Expert Adviser
    It's not surprising you fell in love with her, she is beautiful.
  • I spent a few hours with Hedley Bennett this afternoon, Learned a lot of valuable information about Hudson cars, I had a tour of his pristine cars I lost count after 12 (They really made mine look pretty dowdy) Had a wonderful ride on the highway in my first Hudson, it was amazing, 60 MPH in 2nd OD and it was not even starting to labour.

Hedley knew the owner of my car and had done work on the transmission and sold a majority of the parts that are on my car. The best part was that he still had his contact number and I was able to talk with that owner and learn the history of the car .He  knew about it for 10 years and when it was sold to him they had to cut down 2 trees to remove the car. Anyway the car was in fine shape and complete when that owner sold the car. He also had the name of the person he sold it to and I was able contact them and inquire about the missing parts, the hunt is on.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    See what an adventure a Hudson is?

If you had bought a Model A Ford, or a '57 Chevy, you could go online to order all the parts you needed, without ever having to interact with another human being.  And you'd have never needed to search out Hedley Bennett.

On the other hand, Hudson parts and information are so obscure that you HAVE to interact with people to find these things.  Amazing and legendary people like Hedley. .

When it comes to fixing up Hudsons, the road can be long and hard, but the journey is often more rewarding than the destination.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Nick,

A lovely looking car indeed and as Jon says your adventure has now started :) It was good that you got to meet with Hedley Bennett and you are now starting to see that the Hudson world is a small one in many ways.

You will , hopefully, find what you need. As Jon said (he's been quoted a lot here) the road can be long & hard but it is great fun. It is amazing what turns up on eBay and other sites; I have picked up a few things for my 112 over the years from there including a pristine rear licence plate holder many years ago for $30!
This discussion has been closed.