HUDSON STEPDOWN SIDE VIEW MIRRORS

Attached are some examples of Hudson mirrors that have the rear screw holding the mirror to the door. The screw hole is then filled with some type of metal or solder to give it a somewhat smooth look. My question is, How do I remove that solder or metal filling to get the screw out? I have a set of good mirrors that I would like to remove from the car and rechrome and fix the mirror glass. I have 3 of these broken mirror brackets, like in the pictures, and they all have that filling in the screw hole, and a good pair on the car with the filling. What does a guy do? 

Thanks, Bill 

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    The right hand picture is the true Hudson Rear View Mirror, beginning in mid 1950 is when they announced the availability of this design.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    It looks to be a plug that was probably set in place with a tap of a hammer after the screw was tightened.  Might need to drill them out to remove.   
  • Jerry, I had the one on the left off of a 54 Hudson convertible and the one on the right is on the drivers door of a 54 Hudson coupe. Both were broke when I got to them, but I also have a 54 sedan that has both mirrors and are in perfect shape. All of them have the filling or plug like John suggests. 

I think you are right John I will end up drilling them out. I can't understand some of the things done on Hudson cars that were overboard sometimes!!

Bill
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    IF YOU GO TO THIS SITE IT IS MY MIRRORS THAT I HAVE MADE TO FIT HUDSON STEP/DOWNS I'VE BEEN SELLING THEM FOR 15 YEARS WITH MANY HAPPY CUSTOMERS I'VE SOLD HUNDREDS OF THEM 

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited June 2016
    Will that  mirror turn in at  an angle enough on the right side to allow the driver to see to the rear and the side of the car??  Maybe I could eliminate my rear camera !! Talking about mounted on the door, 4-5/8" back from front door edge {as the one on the left side is} ; not mounted  the fender. Guaranteed to do that??? So I can take off my Walmart stick-on OFF ????
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    THE MIRRORS I SELL WILL ADJUST SO YOU CAN SEE OUT OF THE MIRRORS AND HOT HIT YOUR VENT WINDOW I SEND A TEMPLATE WITH THE MIRRORS AND WHEN YOU SCREW THEM ON IN THE PLACE I TELL YOU TO YOU CAN SEE VERY WELL I HAVE SOLD HUNDREDS OF THEM OVER THE PAST 20 YEARS THESE MIRRORS MOUNT ON THE DOORS 
This discussion has been closed.