38 Hudson Terrapane Australian model

Does the Australian bodied terrapane differ much to the American version as the aus chev has a lot of subtle differences to the american counterpart

Comments

• ken1962
    ken1962 Member
    yes, the Australian bodies are slightly different. Mainly in the 2 door sloper or coupe. Look at the rear side window - they are smaller than the USA model. Also the 2 door utility or ute has a different tray. I'm looking at the 1936 year. The 4 door sedan in the USA had the option of either a flat trunk lid or hump (extended) where the aus just went for the hump in the 4 door. We didn't get the business or comercial 2 door body I believe. Also the Australian cars only had one brake/ stop light as standard - USA had 2 cheers ken
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well....actually, the low-priced Terraplanes had only one taillight in the U.S.  I think that would have been for the entire run of Terraplanes, 1932-38.  Certainly in 1937 (my year) but probably also in 1938.
  • thanks fellas what I am interested in is who built the bodies in Australia or were they fully imported as I'm looking for donor panels to make life easier repairing mine and also interior parts as the 38 chev looks identical from a photograph as I have brought parts on ebay from America before and just wasted money and time which made the child bride really happy any help would be great  cheers springer
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Didn't Ruskin assemble them in Australia?  Ruskin made the unique "sloper" and the ute which were Ruskin's own creations.  Otherwise they just used the regular bodies shipped by Hudson.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited June 2016
    As far as I know the bodies would be the same,except those special bodies made here in Oz,I.e. Sloper,ute etc. There maybe small differences in things like tail lights and cosmetics. We used the same bodies thru to 1947 with modifications.Unlike the U.S.A who changed the body style in I think 1940/42.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Springer, Ruskin in Melbourne probably provided bodies for all the locally bodied Terraplanes and Hudsons in the late 30s and there were a few imports that came complete with bodies, all the LWB Hudsons AFAIK were fully imported and you do see US bodied Terraplane sedans.

I have spotted some differences between the US and OZ bodies, gutters for one and number of door hinges being another. I know that front doors of US bodied 34/5 sedans had 2 hinges vs 3 hinges on the local bodies.
    The 2 varieties of body certainly look the same, but whether they are exactly the same size and shape I can't say, your 'subtle differences' comment may well be accurate.

What panels do you need? There has to be donor 38s down here somewhere. 37/8/9 body shells, i.e. the cabin, are all the same, some interior fittings varied from year to year.
  • Bob mine is complete with rust in the front guards r/h side bottom 2" at the front gone and the same on left but metal still there to make a replacement ,just thought it might work out better in the long run to cut and weld donor than to start from scratch, rear apron also  and bonnet along piano hinge fold. the bonnett would be a easy fix just the roll and the flair of the guards are going to take time and cash. This car has only minor 1 dint in the left rear wheel arch (front ) .Thought if any donor guards /panels around this would be the place to start looking and to talking to people who have the knowledge to make life easier  Springer from the hunter valley
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Springer, check out our web site .Google. Hudson AMC car club. We are in Sydney.
This discussion has been closed.