Hi from Downunder

HippyDave
HippyDave Member
edited May 2016 in HUDSON
Hi club members.

I wanted to introduce myself as I have acquired a chassis that I believe is a 1924 Hudson. 

Serial Number stamped on chassis is 532317. Also the attached image is the chassis.

I would like to ask for assistance with the history of this chassis and confirmation of type/body style.

Any help would be much appreciated as in Australia we have limited parts and information.

Regards
Dave  

imageimage

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Dave, welcome to the Hudson Open Forum.  (I don't know if you know about the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, which runs this forum, but here is the homepage:  http://www.hetclub.org/

Also, are you aware of the Hudson AMC Car Club of Austalia?  They're an active group with many knowledgeable members who might be able to assist you.  Their website is http://www.hudson-amc.org.au/.  Many of their members hang out at the Open Forum so I'm sure you'll get a reply from one of them shortly!
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Howdy,  Hudson Motors did not build an X-member -type chassis until the 1932 Essex-Terraplane introduction.  Then the Hudson chassis of 1934 began employing this engineering feature.  Your chassis number indicates a 1935 Hudson 6 Model GH.   You located the number stamped on the outside of the frame rail above the right front spring rear attachment point, correct?   There are no known records documenting chassis number with type of body installed.  I believe I see a partial rear anti-sway bar positioned through the frame which would indicate this was originally an Axle-Flex (front suspention) equipped car.  The sway bar was std. equip when a '35 had A-F.
  • Hi Stilloutthere
    Thanks for the information. I had thought that the chassis was 1924 as I have a page from the Hudson General Information Handbook that shows the chassis number falling in the 1924 year. Perhaps this may be wrong or I have something different? (refer attached extract)
    Chassis number is stamped on the top of the frame rail on the RHS (as you look from the front) just back from the round hole in the side of the chassis that I believe the steering mechanism goes thru.
    Looks like I am getting closer, however would like to know exactly just for the sake of it.
    Regards
    Dave

imageimageimage
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Confusing I agree when you uncover data like that, but your chassis definitely a 1935 model. All cars built from 1935 to '39 had the first number corresponding to the year, the next designating the model, and then the actual car number.
    Geoff 
  • Thanks Geoff, I will take it as 1935. 
    Do you guys have any access to a factory technical drawing of this chassis from the factory or any good photo images of a restored chassis.
    I have spent ages going thru' the manuals that I can find on the 'net, and while some chassis look vaguely similar, I can't see anything that looks exactly what I have!
    Dave
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I have the 35 frame alignment drawing which I can scan for you.

bobwardDOTlaidleyATgmailDOTcom
  • Hi Bob,
    I see that you are a fellow Aussie!
    Thanks, I would appreciate any drawing you are able to provide.
    I will send you an email.
    Dave
This discussion has been closed.