how do i tell if I have an over drive 3 speed manual transmission?

jrenda
jrenda Member
Hi All,

Is there a way through the VIN or a marking on the trans to identify if it is an OverDrive version or not?

Thanks again

- jason

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The transmission looks like the pictured trans. image
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Yup 3 speed with overdrive
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    If you have a 48-51 stepdown the transmission will only have one lever but will have the solenoid oldfarmer pictured
  • jrenda
    jrenda Member
    thanks all.  Nother question - if my stock 8 cyl engine is bunk, can I use the stock trans with any other engines?  Possibly a chevy 250? Ive searched for adapter plates but havent found anything.  Id like to keep the car stock but if I need to have something while rebuilding the original 8 cylinder I'd like to know what can be made to work without destroying the integrity of the car.  Moving motor mounts, etc.is fine.  Just dont want to do a clip or something that cant be undone later once the stock engine is rebuilt.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2016
    This is a wild guess (someone knowledgeable will jump in here soon) but because Hudson manufactured its own transmissions, I would doubt they'd easily hook up with another manufacturer's engine.  Later (in 1952 I think (I have forgotten the year of your car) the transmission was made by Borg Warner and these were used by several manufacturers.

I'm not a StepDown person, but wouldn't a standard 6-cylinder Hudson engine of the era, couple right up with that transmission?  There are a lot more 6-cylinder engines than eights, hanging around.  You might even go over to the H.A.M.B. website and see if anyone is street rodding a Hudson; you might be able to get a very nice, running engine cheaply.  Try Craigslist as well, you never know what might be available close to home.
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor
    Gonna stick my neck out put my 2 cent worth or opinion in here. If your intention is to keep Your Hudson stock and plan to rebuild the 254 if needed, I would locate a running 262 to use in the meanwhile. Will give you easiest installation, no modifications. Interchange parts from 8 to six are common. your trans will bolt up, can use same clutch, however while out would benefit both engines to install rebuilt assembly and rebuilt bell housing which is a one time deal for both engines. If you drive your car with the 254 will appreciate what it is. it's a quiet good performing engine. My 2 kids and I use our 254 50 Commodore with overdrive for road trips. I've owned a 49 with 262 with overdrive. We liked it as well. but the 8 is king with me.  I'm not a purists, but with Hudsons I am. I've a history with street rods so... If the 254 needs to be rebuilt, it's expensive.  But as is said, your car, your investment.
       Kim

• jrenda
    jrenda Member
    thanks all.  I'm sort of a "plan for the worst case scenario" type of person.  Not in a negative way, more so that I can figure extra cash into the budget.  If I budget for option B (say a 250 swap for now) and don't need it then I'm ahead of the game.  I'm truly hoping I can keep everything as-is and maybe have a bit of luck on my side.  If not I need to know what options I have - other than $8000 to rebuild the 8 cyl and trans.  I simply don't have that in the budget (I was told that with some new points, marvel mystery oil and new wiring that she would run).  and if I have to wait till I do the car will become permanent garage art. I can't afford that to happen - literally or figuratively as at that point I'd have to sell.  

I know I'm jumping ahead of the game.  Just trying to keep these options in the back of my head as I progress through baby steps towards getting her clean, stopping, and then running.  As they say - stop, run, pretty.  Tho I think the lines of the car make her pretty anyway,

• 50ClubCoupe
    50ClubCoupe Member
    edited May 2016
    Jason - contact Robert Halbing, he has a FREE 262 engine located in central NJ.  Here's his ad from the other forum.

1951 262 short block solid running take out (10/24/15) P/U only located central New Jersey 609-891-5039
  • jrenda
    jrenda Member
    edited May 2016
    oh wow - thank you 50ClubCoupe! will call this morning
  • Per
    Per Member
    Hi Jason, I just wrote you on one of your other postings. Two years ago I put a 232 Hudson Pacemaker six cylinder engine into a 1949 Commodore 8 sedan. While I was attempting to fix the original engine, which turned out to have a cracked block due to being stored with water in it, I did the frame crossmember lowering I described. If you end up getting a stepdown 6 engine, I can show you this car so you can see the details that need to be dealt with...Per
This discussion has been closed.