Wanted: Auto-Lite 4009A Distributor Points Plate and/or Used Core

50ClubCoupe
50ClubCoupe Member
edited May 2016 in Parts & Pieces
I had to modify my points plate in order to install a Pertronix kit and I'm now having issues with the ignitor so, as I work through the issue, I'd like to reinstall my standard points but I need a new plate in order to do so.  If anyone has a spare plate or a complete core please let me know. 

Comments

• call where you were on Apr 23rd.

• good point….I always seem to take the hard way. LOL

I just need something (4009a parts) to get me by until I can get one or two parts for my dual point Mallory unit.  In the end I'll have one electronic system, one stock unit and one Mallory unit at the ready when/if the issue persists!
  • I have a NOS dual point plate to install in the stock dist. but haven't done that yet. Thought it might be better than stock. You have a good idea so you can carry a spare unit around with you.

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Scott, I have the part you're looking for.
  • Ken - Yes, that's the plate.  I had to remove the small tang that holds the points spring in order to install the Pertronix.  I bought the kit because it stated there were no modification necessary to the plate but, after some head scratching I called and they said I did in fact need to remove the tang.  I was hoping to avoid any modifications for exactly the reason that occurred yesterday….the system failed and I could not revert back to points.  I'm still troubleshooting to see what happened but in the meantime I want to have a good plate to swap in as needed.

Lance - I'll give you a call tomorrow….I may have a few more parts to inquire about as well. :)
  • Early pertonics will die if you leave the key on without the engine running.

I prefer just modifying to the mopar/HEI ignition. It won't look exactly stock with the external ignition module but all the parts are on the shelf at the parts store. But you need 12v.

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Scott, My Pertronic would not start the engine when I installed system. I removed the coil that came with it and re-installed the old coil. Started right up. . Go figure, new coil not functioning. Was still using old coil until something in hydro broke. You might try switching coils and see what happens. I hope you get all the parts you want. That will give you two spare distributor systems to have on hand.
  • 50ClubCoupe
    50ClubCoupe Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for sharing Lee...I did exactly as you did and swapped coils but it had no effect on the issue.  My unit was working great and the car was running strong and then it quit suddenly the other day.  It had been warming up for about 5-10 minutes while I installed my daughters car seat and then, as I was turning out of the development, it just died suddenly.  I had a timing light with me so I clipped it on and verified that there wasn't any spark.  I got it home with the help of a buddy and swapped the old coil back in with no change.  Last night I partially removed the dizzy so that I could spin the rotor and, with the key on, I was able to jump a spark from the coil to the block.  It had a nice blue spark and triggered 6 times in one revolution so I thought the failure may have been something else other than the unit.  I then removed the dizzy and disassembled the rotor, magnet, plate and the cam since i had popped the cam off the flyweights when messing with it.  After reassembling and putting it partially back in the car I performed the same test and was only able to get one initial spark and then nothing regardless of how many revolutions I attempted.  I plan to call Pertronix for some guidance but in the meantime, I picked up a plate from Lance last night and I plan to reinstall my points tonight to see if I can get them to spark.  If I'm successful I'll be a little more confident that the Pertronix igniter is the issue.  I'll also be picking up the remaining items for my Mallory dual point tomorrow so I may just hang on and wait until I can install that unit.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Scott, did you ever resolve your Pertronix Ignition issues?  I have a Pertronix unit in my '48 and it's working fine.  I ordered one for the 49 coupe because the points and condenser on it seem to be burning out.  I have a theory that this is my fault due to the fact I installed the Autowire harness and left out the ballist resistor because it wouldn't spark.  It ran great for about two or three months, but now the timing light misses a beat and the spark is real weak.  
  • Nope, I removed it, threw it in the box and haven't touched it since.  I ended up finding and installing a nice dual-point Mallory with a Magspark unit and it's been performing nicely so I have no desire to change anything out at this point. 
  • jase
    jase Member
    What's the part number on the Mallory dizzy? I'd like to keep an eye out for one.

Thanks!
    Best
    Jase
  • I'm running the Mallory ZCM 253C which is for a '51-'52 Hornet, Wasp and Super. The "M" is for the Magspark unit which I'm also running.  The Magspark is a dual coil that fires each set of points independently.  If you come across a Mallory I've got a bunch of documentation and part numbers.  Ken also has a bunch of information and interchange notes.
    093.jpg 162.7K
  • Wow love old JCWs; if not for them and Honest Charleys in the 50s I wouldn't know a thing!!!
This discussion has been closed.