A/c on 308

I'd like to put a/c on my 308 Anyone make a compressor mount? How to solve the pulley setup w/o a dual pulley? Thanks Carl

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Didn't someone repro the AMC brackets that were used on the '55 and '56 Hornets?
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Joe Stinnett in Florida was making them
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Actually the OEM and Stinnett brackets are usable with single belt applications and wide belt. The mount includes an idler that is used to tighten the belt. The mount with adapter allows a Sanden compressor to be a bolt on. The wide pulley has been sourced through Sanden compressor sales outlets.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited April 2016
    Adding the pictures of an installation with OEM brackets (same as Stineett replicated) System uses, wide pulley on the compressor and the altenator and one wide belt to drive all accessories.

imageimage
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited April 2016

More: A/C uses front groove on double crank pulley. Back groove on crank pulley goes to water pump and power steering; back groove on water pump pulley goes to alternator. But had to weld 2 five inch water pump pulleys together(Ford 6 cyl.; after cutting, etc.) to get water flow rate up to design. Had to line up grooves with PS, CP, & Alt.
    You can take 2 single crank pulleys and make a double similar to the way I made the WP pulley??? I use 1/2" belts on the deep 3/4" crank pulley without a problem in years; rather not, since belts are very tight, but no choice. BTW,using back 2 grooves on new WP pulley, 4th photo.
    R

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    That AC casting is not recommended.  Email me for more information if interested:

HETrlchilton52@gmail.com (drop the HET before sending)
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited April 2016
    OEM AC installation by dealer in a 1953 Hornet using York and HUDSON bracket imageimage
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Mr. Chilton, If there is some reason not to use the cast mounting bracket wouldn't it be a good idea to post it for all of us to know the problem?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Perhaps, Dan, that's why I commented about it.  Of course you are welcome to email or call me about it.  
This discussion has been closed.