50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited April 2016 in HUDSON
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5538292870.html

Note these are engines not motors.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2016
    In case the listing lapses, he's posted a phone number: "Curt" at (three-six-oh) 631-2995
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Interesting that you would make the engine v motor comment.......it's one of my favorite gripes. You are correct, they are not motors. Starters are motors, heaters have motors, wipers have motors, but the device that propels the car down the road is an engine!

I've managed to keep my mouth shut for years (except privately) so it's refreshing to see that someone else out there gets it.

I hope he saved the main caps!

Frank

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    So what's the difference between an engine and a locomotive???
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    And does the Locomobile (early automobile) have and engine.
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Referring to an engine as a motor is one of those terms that has been used erroneously by so many, for so long, that it has just become acceptable. I, for one, will never make that mistake but realize that most people just don't know any better so I have learned to accept it. It's just not worth the time to argue the point. If anyone really cares, do your own "research", but I wouldn't be surprised that the true definitions have become skewed for the same reason.

Locomotive and locomobile (note that it's not necessarily a proper noun) aren't the question. Either simply mean "self propelled", but the engine/motor question is a little more technical....but still fairly simple.

And yes, the Locomobile has/had an engine. That's how it propelled itself down the road.

Frank                       

This discussion has been closed.