That "Hudson Horde"

pseftoncomcastnet
pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor

For the past couple days, one of the "abandoned and neglected vintage cars" Facebook groups I belong to has been buzzing about a "Hudson horde" that one of the members has rescued from the jaws of the crusher. The story, as I piece it together, is that the cars had been accumulated by an elderly man in Solon, Iowa but may have been stored in Cedar Rapids. Apparently his heirs had sold his storage building and were going to have everything crushed on Monday, before a young guy in the group bought the lot. It is hard to tell what's there from his pictures, but it looks like at least 2 dozen cars.. Most look crusty and rusty, but apparently the lot includes a couple pick-ups and at least 3 Terraplanes.  He does plan to sell them off and part them out. Since this Facebook group is basically hot rod oriented, people are already all over him for coupes and trucks.

Has anyone else heard about this?

PETER SEFTON 

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    I have no knowledge of them. Do you have a name and contact information for the young guy that bought them? I like pick-ups. Lee O'Dell
  • pseftoncomcastnet

I do have a little more info. He updated his original post to say that he had been busy moving cars to his place until midnight last night and would be taking inventory over the next few days. His new pictures showed a blue Hudson pickup as well as two Metropolitans and an early 1950s Desoto wagon.

The guy's names is Tyler Von Holst and he lives in Iowa City, not Cedar Rapids. The FB group he posts to is "Abandoned and Neglected Vehicles." No contact info, but it should be possible to send him a private message via Facebook.

The cars in the pictures look a little rough for resto but would be excellent for parts. Plus, he has a 1920s Hudson with surface rust that appears to have been stored inside.

Peter S.

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Peter Thank you for the update.. Lee O'Dell
  • pseftoncomcastnet

Yes, Bull Islander has the correct URL. However, this is a huge FB group with nearly 100,000 members and dozens of posts are made daily. The most efficient way to see Tyler Von Holst's Hudson Horde without scrolling past dpozens of identical rotting Mustangs or the scrapped helicopters of Chernobal, enter "Hudson" in the search box below the "join" and "share" lone/ His posts will float to the top. Has a few pictures embedded.

Peter S.

• The elderly man in Solon was a fellow in Solon who died several years ago from throat cancer by the name of Baker, he wasn,t very old, maybe 45?. I will tell you most were just plain JUNK, There were 7 trucks and not enough good parts to make one. He did have a very low mileage (15K) 51 super six coach that belonged to me about 35 years ago that had been used as a parts car for a 50 pacemaker convt. which he had stashed elsewhere. The 51 was still rust free, but was missing the rear quarters, drivers door and rear glass , had been left outdoors so interior was shot. Also there was hulks of a 36 terraplane coach and a 29 sedan. For some reason someone thought this pile was GOLD PLATED and I understand it was moved to West Brach Iowa. and stored.

• To add to this, Someone should check out if he has the 50 Pacemaker convt. As I remember this car had been under restoration in Rochester Minn.  before Mr. Baker got hold of it, That's a whole nother story in itself.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor

For the past couple days, one of the "abandoned and neglected vintage cars" Facebook groups I belong to has been buzzing about a "Hudson horde" that one of the members has rescued from the jaws of the crusher. The story, as I piece it together, is that the cars had been accumulated by an elderly man in Solon, Iowa but may have been stored in Cedar Rapids. Apparently his heirs had sold his storage building and were going to have everything crushed on Monday, before a young guy in the group bought the lot. It is hard to tell what's there from his pictures, but it looks like at least 2 dozen cars.. Most look crusty and rusty, but apparently the lot includes a couple pick-ups and at least 3 Terraplanes.  He does plan to sell them off and part them out. Since this Facebook group is basically hot rod oriented, people are already all over him for coupes and trucks.

Has anyone else heard about this?

PETER SEFTON 

I agree with you, that Facebook group is basically hot rodders.

• Update:
    I have all of these cars and am looking for people who need them.
    Feel free to call me at 319-444-6677
    Geri W

Some are listed on craigslist.org in Cedar Rapids, IA

• Quadster
    Quadster Expert Adviser
    One to many zeros on the ask, for each of these cars.
  • Hudsonrules
    Hudsonrules Senior Contributor

Moat look like parts cars, no tittles or paperwork. These are not gold plated collectables either. What a loss.

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    price wise he is a dreamer big time.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    He does say he's negotiable on the convertible and " Or Best Offer" listed on the others.  Ready to sell is ready to sell.  
This discussion has been closed.