GOOD LUCK

TOM-WA-
TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
Another case of someone building a car to their specifications then realizing that they have invested alot more money in it than they will
ever be able to recoup.

I expect that this car will never sell at his asking price and if and when it gets sold, if ever the price will be under $20,000 at best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-Commodore-Custom-/401104156228?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5d63abb644:g:SwcAAOSwq19XCxbk&item=401104156228

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Tom, You're likely right since it's a sedan. If it was a pickup, I think he would get it.  Crazy.
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

That one is, more or less, a local car for me (and Tom). I saw it some time ago and shook my head then......it's still shaking. It's a beautiful example that would have been worth something well North of 20K if they hadn't ruined it. It could be brought back to original but they've made sure it isn't worth the effort and $ to do it.

I think my first reaction was also, "good luck". 

• TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    HERE IS ANOTHER ONE THAT HAS BEEN FOR SALE FOR WHAT SEEMS LIKE YEARS AND NOT GETTING ANY INTEREST.

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO STOP WATCHING BARRETT & JACKSON

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-HORNET-CONVERTIBLE-HUDSON-HORNET-SUPER-DOME-COMMADORE-/262381660813?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d172a6a8d:g:LJkAAOSwhcJWPMb0&item=262381660813
  • "Good luck" is my thinking exactly. 
    It's indeed a crazy world out there in the land of classics and restorations.  We've said it before, but it's so true--you can't pay someone to restore a car and expect to get your $$ back.   You've got to do it for the love of the car.
    And the whole world of the TV car reality shows and hype auctions has sent this old hobby into a ridiculus spin!  I'm glad I don't watch television...k

Even if it was worth that Kind of $, they discredit themselves (in my mind) by not being able to spell "Commodore" correctly. Someone forgot to do their homework.

F

• I agree, Frank.   It's funny how often I see this...k

Just keep "commode door" in mind and it should help those who are spelling challenged. 

Don't get me started....oops, too late. I have several favorites, "parameter frame" is high on the list a well. Let's not forget "Zink".

F

• Hudsonrules
    Hudsonrules Senior Contributor

Also, do not forget "body off frame" restoration on a step down. I asked someone who was selling a Hudson step down coupe that  claimed body off frame restoration how that could be done with a unitized body. He ignored  and gave me a dirty look and walked away. Of course he had no knowledge of Hudson's, just wanted to flip a car and make a fast buck. The car was not that great for a restored  Hudson. Cleaned up perhaps, restored, no! These  car auctions on TV are full of speculators who take their purchase to another auction and try to resell for more dollars. There are a lot of dreamers out there.

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    And dont forget the (in) famous:
    "Ran when parked" !!

:))
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    How about "Hydromatic"?

I already went through the "HydrO-Matic" argument a while back. Those were the early ones that used water for fluid but were quickly discontinued due to severe corrosion issues.

The list is endless.....Cummings engines, 12 Volt posi-traction, Splicer U-joints, Dana 460 rears, 200R-4, and on and on and......... 

There's plenty they're not telling us about that one.

Interesting to me because I bought an identical '48 C-8 4dr sedan several years back (don't ask how that worked out), same color that purportedly came from Az originally. Long story....that's not over yet.

Frank

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    TOM-WA- said:
    HERE IS ANOTHER ONE THAT HAS BEEN FOR SALE FOR WHAT SEEMS LIKE YEARS AND NOT GETTING ANY INTEREST.

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO STOP WATCHING BARRETT & JACKSON

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-HORNET-CONVERTIBLE-HUDSON-HORNET-SUPER-DOME-COMMADORE-/262381660813?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d172a6a8d:g:LJkAAOSwhcJWPMb0&item=262381660813
    If this is the car I think it is.. It was a Commodore and has been converted to a Hornet. Has a Hash 308.  Engine is painted silver.Amature hand stamped vin tag.

If that's so, it certainly would constitute fraud on the part of the seller. Maybe someone should "Ask the seller a question". ?

Frank

• SuperDave
    edited April 2016
    I did a year or more back but got no response. This car was in a collection near Hobe Sound Fl. Belonged to a fellow who's last name was Hudson.  The owner back then, in his 80's, wanted to sell and give the money to a charity that helped underprivileged kids with vocational training. As I recall the asking price was about $40,000. I offered some property in trade worth more, but he wanted a cash sale.He has since past away. He told me a shop "up North" did the restoration.When I looked at it I was surprised to see there was no H-145 medallions on the inside door panels. Then I noticed the silver Hash 308 engine (no doubt the new 308 was painted by the restoration shop the same color as the one that was removed..262). the vin tag is not the original. I tried to read some of the number stamped on the right front frame. I think I could make out 2 or 3 numbers. (Lots of paint ) none matched the tag. I did not discus the fact that I thought it was a clone . I thought the price was fair as it was. It really is a very nice car but slightly misrepresented. Heck' it's more rare than a Hornet!   Easy fix..
  • SuperDave
    Note that I changed the price !  A simple but dramatic mis-type.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor

I already went through the "HydrO-Matic" argument a while back. Those were the early ones that used water for fluid but were quickly discontinued due to severe corrosion issues.

Now thats funny right there!!

Good one!

• cvs
    cvs Senior Contributor
    just wish I was able to run a sewing machine and make a straight pass. Interior and Chrome those are the stingers
This discussion has been closed.