VIN help

Hello, my husband and I are new to the Hudson world and we need some help decoding our VIN. We just picked up (what we are told) a 47' super six two door sedan...unfortunelty there is no title. We don't know much about Hudsons, so any help would greatly be appreciated. This is the number we got off of the A-pillar tag: 2035905 we have not come across any other numbers yet, as the car is pretty rough. We have two flat 6's that came with it, which are apart and we don't know if they are salvageable, also came with two transmissions. They are rusted pretty bad, so far we are unable to see any numbers on the transmissions or engines. Thanks for any help, Amber

Comments

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Depending on how complete the car is, we should be able to ID it easily with a photo, but the serial number is, of course, the most reliable way. The number you posted doesn't make sense to me as it should begin with 171**** if it's a '47 Super Six. Were either of the engines claimed to be the original? There should be a s/n on the top of the block just aft of the #1 exhaust port that matches the body #. There is also that same # on the rear axle housing, passenger's side, somewhat above the centerline (just over the r/h brake line). I believe there is an s/n stamped on the frame, passenger's side top, seen from the engine bay just ahead of the firewall. The latter may not be true of the pre-"stepdown" cars so I'm sure I will get corrected if so.
    Please don't discard any items like engines, transmissions or such, no matter how ugly they may look. One man's/woman's junk is another man's treasure! 

It's refreshing to hear that you are a team on the project, as are my wife and I. I'm know I'm a lucky guy.

Frank

• 47Hudson
    47Hudson Member
    edited April 2016
    Here's some pictures of the car! We won't be getting rid of any parts as we know they are hard to come by! We are hoping (fingers crossed) we will be able to use at least one of the engines (both flat straight 6's) and transmissions, I only have one head though.. The rear end is in it and it rolls, I will check to see if I can get numbers off of it! I am not sure if either engines or transmissions are original, I don't think the guy knew much about them either, it was a "I got it from a friend of a friend" deal. I am also trying to figure out how to get a title,but I need the right numbers first. That's awesome you and your wife work together on it, you don't see much of that..me and my husband are both mechanics, so it works out well except we keep running into the issue of needing a bigger garage lol, as we already have two. Here are some pictures of the car! Thanks for the help! Amber
  • Hi Amber  This is my sons 1946 Super six model 51 Brougham
  • Hello, Nice car! Looks like that's maybe what we have... Do you know the difference with the brougham,are parts harder to find for it, or is there something special about it?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2016
    Welcome to the world of Hudsons, Amber.  I'm sure you will find that most Hudson collectors are friendly and like to help their fellow Hudson owners.  (We HAVE to be that way, since we -- and Hudsons -- are so few and far between!).  

"Brougham" was Hudson's terminology for a 2-door sedan, which you have.  I'm guessing that it was second in sales only to the 4-door sedan; in other words, a fairly common body style.

If you're not yet acquainted with it, you might want to consider joining the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club.  The Club runs this forum, and yet another Hudson forum which is part of their website at http://www.hetclub.org/ .  It's a great resource for finding parts, technical information, and for tapping into the worldwide Hudson network.

You didn't mention where you live;  that may be helpful, since a Forum member with a car like yours might live near you, and offer his / her services.  It is sure helpful to have a similar car nearby, which you can inspect, photograph and measure, in case you're restoring your car.  Also, there may be an active chapter of the Club in your area, and you can then attend some Hudson get-togethers.

One suggestion: don't rush to buy parts for your car until you've checked out sources within the Hudson network.  The '46-47 Hudsons were fairly common in their day and there are still a good number of parts cars and parts around.  And parts can be had fairly reasonably.  I'd suggest going over the car and determining what you need, then developing a "want list" and sending it around to Hudson vendors for prices.  If the body is badly damaged or rusted in spots, it may be cheaper to find replacement sheet metal than to fuss around trying to repair the particular component.  This car may not be "Ford-easy" to find parts, but it isn't a Duesenberg, either!  The stuff is out there in quantity, if you know where to look.  (That's why I'd suggest joining the Club, 'cause you'll tap into the network of parts sellers.)

Have fun and don't hesitate to post your needs on this forum, either for parts or for advice!
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Car pictured is a 1942   Which fits with the serial number given,  Model 20  is the short (116 in. wheelbase)
    car .   The correct engine casting number would be 159547.  This is found on the crankcase above the starter number.  These are cast,raised digits,  not stamped .  The date code would be above this, hiding under the lip of the water jacket cover.

Hope this helps.

"Ric"
  • Thank you!! We need all the help we can get with this car..we have been trying to do our homework on it but info is hard to come by..I guess we really don't know where to look but here..ok I will probably be joining the club with you all. We live in Richmond, Michigan, hopefully there people close by! We are going to need sheet metal, but I think we are just going to make it a rat rod, it will cost way to much for us to restore. We won't be cutting up the car though, trying to keep it original as much as possible!
  • Ric, so you are saying my car is a 1942? Where did you get the info to decode it? Now when I search for 1947's, cars that look like mine come up...I'm really not sure the differences though between a 42' and 47'.. I have no grill or bumpers for the car either, I know some years have slight differences. Could you send info on how to decode? Thanks, Amber
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

The hood & existing chrome appears to confirm that it's a 42, which goes with the serial number you found on the right-front door pillar.

As Jon indicates, it appears to be a 'Brougham'.

They didn't make many '42 vehicles, and that coupled with it being a Brougham makes it somewhat rare.

Good luck in registering without a title - it can be quite a challenge in some states. If you start now, you might be done by the time the vehicle is able to 'hit the road'. 

• Ric West IN
    First two digits of the serial #, 20   is the model # for the short wheelbase Hudson..Serial number/model# comes from either Owner manual for 1942 , Master Group Parts Book for 1940-1942, or the 1927-1950 
    Hudson Parts interchange book.  
    Your pictures are of a 1942 short wheelbase Hudson 2 door sedan(brougham).  Dash glass pattern is 42 only,
    Radio/dash grill are 1942 only.  Rear fenders are 1942 and 46-47.  Engine is visually the same,1940-47.
    Doors fit 1942-47.  
    Google 1942 Hudson and study the front ends/grill.  There are slight differences between the low priced/short wheelbase models and the Super /Commodore models.
    Bumpers visually the same for 42-47. both bumper guards and holes for same may vary between models.
  • Ric West IN
    Amber,  I live near Grand Rapids, MI.   616-six,seven,7-three,7,two,zero.  

Ric
  • Thank you Rick and Ric! Very helpful info, I was wondering why the hood chrome was different from all the other cars I've searched..I think from what it looks like, the hood chrome is supposed to light up? This is interesting now I need to curve my searches for 42'! ...Ric, awesome thanks for giving your phone number, myself or my husband Matt may be calling for help in the near future! You can reach us at (586)850-9743
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2016
    Here's a '42 brougham:

Here's the dashboard:

Actually, the model illustrated may have different trim from yours, because it may be a different model.  You have the model #20 which was the "entry level" model and was available as a "Traveler Six", "Deluxe Six", or a "Business Car".  The wheelbase is 116 inches (in comparison, the "Super Six" or "Commodore" models had a 121" wheelbase, and there was a 128" Commodore sedan available).  Your model would have had a 175 cubic inch six cylinder engine; most sixes that year had a 212 c.i.d. six cylinder engine.  (Should you wish to stick with original Hudson power but upgrade your horsepower to about 101, I'm sure that the 175 and 212 engines are interchangeable.)
  • Ric West IN
    Jon has pictured a 42 Super 6.  This car used to live in Grand Rapids, MI.  Notice the trim differences as
    the Super is the next step "up" in price and trim level.  Not so much stainless on the 20 series.
  • Jon B, I have a different steering wheel? I'm going to get a better picture of the dash
  • Ahh I see, so I have the base model then..alright so what is my car than? Just a Hudson six?
  • Here's a better picture
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Boy, am I embarrassed! I was so hung up on the notion that it was a '46 or '47 (before seeing any photos) that I completely ignored the "20". I should know better.....I have a 21 and 24.

Frank

• So does anyone know what my car is actually called then? Lol
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Hudson Six, as opposed to Super Six, Commadore Six, Commadore Eight, Commadore Custom Eight, Commadore Custom Eight Sedan, Cab Pickup and Big Boy Cab Pickup
  • Ok thanks good to know what we actually have now
  • Does anyone know what the keys are supposed to look like for my car (42' six)? Is the glovebox and ignition the same?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Traditionally, the door and the ignition are the same.  Glovebox and trunk are the same.  
  • Ok, do you know what the two different keys look like?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I think there were two keys per car (which was standard practice in the old days): one round and the other octagonal.  But I don't know which key fit which combinations of locks (ignition, trunk, glove compartment).  Briggs and Stratton made the keys (as they did for most car companies in the era).  They key would have had Briggs and Stratton on it, also "BASCO", but the BASCO script was rendered differently in different eras.  Here is one such key:

I've heard that Doug Wildrick has a number of key blanks for sale, you might try him.  Ebay has them all the time, but Doug might be your better bet, because he's apt to know which key would be appropriate with which era of Hudson.  You probably won't find that kind of knowledge available from the standard Ebay seller!
  • Ric West IN
    Round for Ignition and door,  Octagonal for  glove box and trunk lid.   
    If your ign. switch is present and functional, a good lock shop can read the code and cut a duplicate.
  • Perfect! Thanks guys, I never would of guessed Briggs made the keys haha, learn something new everyday!
  • Here's one of my blocks, shot peened..need to still magnaflux it to see if I have any cracks! Also, the raised numbers are the only ones on the block, and I don't know how to tell if it's original to the car or not or what these numbers are....and yes it's sitting on my living room floor haha
  • Ric West IN
    Casting date code shown, G151  =July 15, 1941

Casting number fits in 40-42 era.  Have also found casting number 159547 on engines of this time period.

Would welcome more data on 6 cyl engines of this time period .

Serial number was stamped on the block top surface between the head and exhaust manifold, by #1 cylinder 

"Ric"
  • 47Hudson
    47Hudson Member
    edited April 2016
    Thank you Ric, I did find the serial number, very faint but it's there and it's numbers matching to the car 2035905, wow I'm excited! :smiley: now I have to check the transmissions I have, hopefully one of them is also numbers matching! I am really hoping we can bring this engine back to life! So I'm guessing there was no more engine blocks for 42', so they threw in a leftover 41' block?
This discussion has been closed.