1949 Hudson Commodore 6 "Driving Miss Daisy" (color)

Allard62
Allard62 Member
edited April 2016 in Vehicles

Submitted for your consideration:

1949 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Hudson Commodore 6 Sedan 2-tone Brown ("Driving Miss Daisy" original color)

Vehicle highly restored in 1987/1988 and seldom driven after that. As the owner of an appraisal firm, I'll suggest this is a strong #3 car. This is an all original low mileage car exhibiting 31k miles that by all accounts is correct for this vintage. I just sold another very high end restored '54 Hudson Jet for the same family (owner passed 5 weeks ago) and they'd like to see this go to another discerning collector who will properly enjoy and display this car.

The known issues include: Wipers are INOP (My Father -------fellow Hudson lover/owner----- knew owner and believes it to be something minor; Original Front Floor Mat has a split in it.

Hood has closed down on left & right fender leading-edges and has been touched up.

Hood has a quarter-sized stone chip that was touched up---------should be properly painted.

Right Frt Door needs adjusting for fitment at rear door & fender.

Left Quarter has paint-loss/touch-up where fuel door has touched the quarter.

Rear body panel below decklid edge has area of paint loss/amateur touch-up-------should be properly refinished.

Driver's front door trim panel needs to be reaffixed at right lower corner.

Frt Carpet where it goes up under dash needs to be reaffixed.

Left Frt B-pillar (Center post) welting is coming undone. Just needs a trim guy to glue it.

On a bright note, the car runs wonderfully----------very very clean.

According to my Father, when the owner acquired this low mileage example years ago, it was so clean on the underside you could reportedly eat on it. It's been highly restored since. Paint quality is very high with a deep rich correct color to it. Interior is incredible with proper restoration of woodgrain.

As part of my appraisal process to dial in the ACV, I have been unable to find a lower mileage example or nicer quality anywhere online (and I'm still looking).

Please review all photos. If you need more photos of anything, please do not hesitate to inquire.

If the ad is still up, I still have it for sale. It will be listed in WTN & Several of our AACA contingent groups for sale by the weekend. Includes binder full of receipts outlining the methodic restoration.

Happy to accomodate inspection/test-drive etc. Car is in historic Franklin, TN.

*******I DO NOT NEED ANY HELP SELLING THIS CAR***********  

No calls after 9pmCST please.

615-979-3058

$35,000.00 or near reasonable offer. Family would like to see it sold to someone else who will appreciate its qualities etc.

Comments

• Sorry for the unusually large file size. Please e-mail me directly for better high res' photos.

Allard62@aol.com

Thank you.

• hudsn47
    hudsn47 Senior Contributor
    Nice car! 35 K is pretty strong but you're the appraiser right.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    COLOR IS BROWN? IS THIS AN APRIL FOOLS THING?
  • Ken, respectfully, as the owner of a fairly successful appraisal firm for the last 20 years that is regularly called upon to mitigate claims for carriers including Haggerty, JC Taylor, and American Collector Car Insurance when there is a dispute on value for first party Insureds, I believe my appraisal stands on its merit. As you're likely aware, the ACV is defined by taking the commonly accepted guidebook value(s), currently available comparable candidates, and candidates sold in the last year. Take the average of all available data, deduct for known pre-existing damage or adjusting for non oem mods and you arrive at ACV------Actual Cash Value. Obviously there are a few exceptions------------vehicles bought in the last 30 days for more than ACV may have a higher value since price was established at time of payment, or, say unique 1-off examples etc. In fact only 1 auction result was considered as it was the ONLY one anywhere online sold that was comparably equipped.

If you can find a lower mileage better equipped example anywhere at a lower price I'd sure like to see it.

The vehicle IS 2-tone Brown/Gold(?)----appears more brown than gold. I can get the OEM color-code if it matters. You're the Senior Contributor.

Best,

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

The color code is stamped on the upper passenger door hinge in quarter-inch letters.

If that's the original color, it will be R/M  for Red Maroon.  Maroon on top and Red below

I used some late 80s Chrysler colors on this one.ie

CC9085 Plasti-Kote Dark Cordovan Pearl

CC9080 Plasti-Kote Garnet Red

• Josh,

Thanks for that info.........I'll check that out this weekend.

I have a pretty good eye for color so I'm not really seeing a maroon or burgundy------but the color code should confirm.

Interestingly, since I've had this for sale, I saw Driving Miss Daisy last night for the first time. Good flick & a good car!

Best,

• Whatever color it is, that is one of the best combinations of colors I've seen on these cars. Sure looks like mattalic browns on my computer....nice!
  •  1949 SOLD: $24K
This discussion has been closed.