Turn signal issue

54Hollywood
54Hollywood Senior Contributor
The left turn signal on our '54 Hornet decided to stop working the other day.  The right one works fine but nothing on the left.  When I try to switch it on I can hear the relay clicking but no lights.  Any thoughts about where I should start to troubleshoot this?  Yes, the bulbs are good.  Thanks.

Tim in WI.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just to clarify: you say "nothing on the left" and you mean neither front nor rear light is blinking....right?  If BOTH the front and rear lights are out, then one would think that the problem lies further upstream, maybe in the switch itself.  Any grounding issue in the front lamp circuitry (for example) would not (I think) affect the rear lamp's operation. So if both are out, one would look elsewhere for the problem.

I am assuming that you have the turn signal version with a separate lamp at back (on each side), for the turn signal...correct?  The other lamp (at each side) is for brakes and taillight only?  (I'm assuming that because you said "Hornet" which has the dual lights on each side. 

Of course it's possible that a previous owner found one from a Wasp, whose single light socket (on each side) shares taillight, brakelight and turn signal duties, and is wired through the brake switch.
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    #1 If the parking light works when you turn the switch on, and the turn signal does not work, its the bulb..If the arrow in the instrument panel does not work or works intermitley (spelling), that has to be the bulb., as the side of the bulb that lights up with the turn signal switch are one. The bulb may look good, but eyeball it closely to see if everything in the bulb is connected.  Also make sure you clean everything up in the socket, and make sure you are getting contact within.  That socket is condusive to everything the tire can throw at it.
  • 54Hollywood
    54Hollywood Senior Contributor
    Hi fellas,

Thanks for the good suggestions.  I will double check the bulbs but since both the front and rear left side turn signals are out including the blinker in the instrument panel, I'm inclined to think it's a wiring or grounding issue that Ken suggested.  They are both dual filament bulbs and the parking lights and regular tail lights work but I'll check those guys first.  Thanks again for the help.

Tim in WI.  
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    Check the filament in the tail light also. If two new bulbs don't work than as Ken says it has to be a grounding issue.
This discussion has been closed.