1935 Terraplane Special Front Bumper Needed

New to the Terraplane Special just picked up the 1935 and joined HETC. I need the bumper and right lower door hinge. That's the tip of the iceburge. Have a nice restore ahead!   817 /-/ 454 /-/ 7967   Leon.  Leave message or txt if I don't answer  Thanks

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Club, and to the world of Hudsons!

With luck, someone will post a message here, saying that they have what you need.  However, if that doesn't happen, the tried and true method will be to prepare an e-mail with a description (maybe a photo) of the items you need, then send it to several of those who advertise used Hudson parts in the White Triangle News.  Only a portion of Club members are present on this forum, but all of them read the WTN!
  • Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to getting her up and on the road. I hope probably in a years time, but not in a hurry. Don't want to make any mistakes along the way. Thanks again
  • Per
    Per Member

I have owned a 1935 Hudson for a long time.  It is very similar to the Terraplane in many ways, so I might be able to help as you go along.

Per
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    By the way, you might want to mention where you're located.  There's a slim chance that someone reading this, has a pile of unknown old Hudson parts that might contain what you want.  But he has no intention of rooting through it to look for your part.  If, however, he discovered that you were only a few hours away, he might be motivated to contact you....and let YOU come over and do the rooting.

You never know...
  • Per said:

I have owned a 1935 Hudson for a long time.  It is very similar to the Terraplane in many ways, so I might be able to help as you go along.

Per

They are such a good looking car. Kind of stumbled on to it, out driving the Jeep. I'll Start keeping a photo log and try to post the restore as it goes along

• I am located in the Granbury Texas area "Fort Worth" 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Granbury?  I believe that's where they hold the annual orphan car show in February.  I think there may be a few Hudson people around there, maybe someone has a car of your era and could suggest a parts source.   http://www.visitgranbury.com/event/sweethearts-orphans-car-show/

• They hold a lot of car shows in the area. Lived in the area for 20+ years 
  • imageHere's a pic as found still have to get her home
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Looks like it's "all there".  With any luck, that rust is only "surface".

If I may make a suggestion:  the first thing you might want to do, is to scramble all over the car and determine which parts you will need (either because they are missing, or too badly damaged or rusted to salvage).  Work up a list, take photos of the parts (the ones needing replacement).  Then develop a list on a program like MS Word, where you can put photos and descriptions of the parts.  This way, you can e-mail these out to prospective parts suppliers, in one list, rather than having to keep appealing for one part after another, as you discover that you need them.

It will be very helpful for you to find a parts manual and a shop manual for this car.  Originals and reprints are available from several sources, but there is also downloadable literature on the H-E-T website.  (As an HET member you will be able to access them.)

When you get your H-E-T national roster, you can locate other people with '35 Terraplanes and with any luck one or two of them might live not far from you.  You can also do the same thing on the H-E-T website under the "members" drop-down.  (Click on "Find A Club Vehicle" and type the year and model into the form.)

You can then contact the owner who (with any luck) will allow you to come over and see his/her car, photograph and measure it, and get technical and restoration information on the car from the owner.  (You can do this via phone or e-mail, it's just a lot more convenient to have the actual car to see.)
  •  Thanks for the information Jon. Appears not to badly rusted, bottom back of both doors and spare tire hole in the trunk. I'm sure those are the usual places

Thanks Leon

•  I found the front bumper at the swap meet. It was laying on the ground and he did not know what it was for. My good fortune. Could of haggled but the price was cheep enough. I was just glad to find one so fast and cheep. Swap meet was mostly for Ford some Chevy , Buick several Hudson part's but not a lot of stuff. Still a good swap meet. I did get the 35 Home late last night. Took a better look at her while loading motor turns over and all wheels turn too. LOL 

Thanks for all the help to all. Now all the fun begins.

Thanks again Leon  

This discussion has been closed.