1952-1954 Wasps and Super Wasps

RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
Over the last few years, and certainly since I got my head out of my Hornet, I've really got an appreciation for the short-nosed or Junior cars, specifically the Wasps and Super Wasps.  So, get those pics out and let's see some shots of those HW's and HSW's!  All body styles welcome!   B-)

Comments

• RL Chilton
    Me too, Ken!  This one ('54) is my favorite:

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Ken, That looks like Steve Traudt's former car. Is it? 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    You too can be a 54 Wasp 2dr owner. My 1954 Wasp Club Sedan is for sale. With or without Twin H installed. Email via Forum for price and particulars.
  • How about a brochure picture. It would be hard to
    improve the looks of this car.
  • I pulled one like the blue car out of a barn in Mitchillville Md. about 45 years ago, absolutely mint ,low mileage, BUT , no engine or trans, and it stunk to high heaven, clutch had gone bad.  When I moved to IOWA I gave it to Tom Sutton and I guess he parted it out. No one wanted broughams then.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The blue car shown in Russell's post is my car.  

I first drove this car during the1992 Western Regional held in Utah.  Glen Johnson had it for sale then.   With a young family and every one still at home I had to pass on the purchase then.  I kept track of this car all these years and when the previous owner decided to sell, I was there to buy it last summer. 
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The '53 Super Wasp brougham that I purchased in South Holland, IL with it turning 20K miles as I drove it home.  Had been sold new by Jim Moran, the Courtesy Man in Chicago.  Car was "Namelized", a clear enamel coating over the lacquer which caused it to all craze over the decades.  It was stripped bare and repainted in nitrocellulose by John Segedy.  The car was mildly customized with a '52 Pacemaker bull nose and the trunk rocket removed.  Had a Hornet front license surround.  Vent shades, fog lights.  Twin-H added to the 262 and Hydro.  I put over 120,000 additional miles on the car all over the country.  This photo is from its appearance in the old large format NAPA calendar.   When I sold it the new owner was sideswiped and the car never rebuilt.
    My personal experience is that some of the outstanding Hudson stepdown chassis engineering feel is lost in the short wheelbase cars.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I put Steve Traut on the Wasp when Ted Wilming had it for sale..I think he may have gotten it from Glen Johnson but not sure.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Josh you are correct, Ted bought the car from Glen, and took it to n California before moving to Ny and bringing the car there.
  • Per
    Per Member
    Here's the Pacemaker in which Dan McNichol and I crossed the country a couple of times 2003 - 2006.

My computer is old, so the "insert image" doesn't work.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Per
    Per Member
    I guess it worked too well!  I don't know how to get rid of all the extras.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    MY OLD WASP THAT HAS BEEN PASSED ON TO A NEW OWNER
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Scott has since resold your Wasp Tom.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    KEN DID AN AMAZING JOB ON THE REPAIRS AND WHEN HE WAS DONE THE CAR LOOKED AS GOOD AS NEW.

GLAD THE CAR ENDED UP IN A GOOD HOME AND AT SOME TIME IN FUTURE I HOPE TO PURCHASE
    ANOTHER HUDSON TO KEEP MY 1985 "VETTE" COMPANY.
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Tom, I believe there was a picture of a Hudson Hornet powered Corvette posted several years ago. The couple looked very pleased with the car. Wish I had copied the photo and recorded their names. Interesting engine swap choice. I think it was similar body style as your Vet. Lee O'Dell
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

And here is a pic of my 54 Wasp.

• VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    I can see a shadow!
  • RL Chilton
    Looks like I found my next car!  I even like the color.  :))
  • Saw this one for sale on Minneapolis cragslist, second owner asking  $5000.00. Posted six days ago but still up today. image
This discussion has been closed.