How are the back-up lights wired?

If I can find the right style of back up lights I want this accessory on my '50 Commodore.   As the wiring harness is being made I am wondering how they were actuated so I can run the wire to the correct location.   Was the switch actuated at the transmission reverse lever or at the at the reverse shifter at the column?   I realize this was problably a dealer added item but I will be looking for the lights and the switch...Thanks Keithimage

Comments

• By the way, this is not my car, but one with the style of back-up lights that I am looking for...k
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited March 2016
    Keith I have the backup Light(s)you want contact me. Send email via forum. Activation via switch that was mad when shift linkage placed in reverse. Mine are on a switch now.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Many, if not most, of these were dealer installed, with just a toggle switch under the dash, nothing "automatic" to turn them on.
  • Can the neutral safety switch be used on the automatics? I am wanting to install back up lights on my 52 Hornet, and thought maybe the safety switch could be used. It has two screw attachments for the neutral activation and two bullet attachments. What are the bullets for? When the transmission shift lever is placed in reverse, would it activate anything on the neutral safety switch for back up lights? 
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited September 2017

The bullets are for the backup lights. Get an ohm meter, and some clips and see if you have continuity when in reverse. Screws are for the lockouts.

sheet metal tag mount bolted to top holes on tag.

Lites only available at O'Reillys #BLZ-RE761​C $25

Here are the backup lights you need on a '52/'53 { 50 watts each }
    >>> photo down in lower comment

what they look like installed
    >>>  photo down in lower comment

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited September 2017

What 100 watts of backup lights look like when turned on !! Note: always use relays with this wattage. 6 volt Halogen bulbs are also available but you would have to buy extra since 12 V are included.
    YES, you can see now. Photo down in another comment.

• Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    On my 54 installation you run the wires to the neutral safety switch.  There are two poles, (must be a better word than that) that they are attached to.  Must be in proper sequence.  Duncan told me how to do it.  However on the 54 you must have the parking light switch/knob on to make the backup lights work. I presume possibly the earlier models work different. I have Borg Warner Trans. Automatic.Should be the same on the hydra, as reverse on the neutral safety switch should be in the same position.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Keith check you email on Yahoo account
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    In the 50 plus years I have owned Hudsons multiple means of switching back up lights off and on have been observed.  The attached picture is the switch assembly that is mounted in my 1953 Wasp.    
  • Backup light switch/ neutral start safety on my '53 with Hydramatic:

• My neutral switch (52 Hornet Dual Range Hydramatic) is like the one in your picture Richard. It has the 2 screws for the neutral start and 2 poles like Grandpa mentioned above. My Hornet had the holes in the deck lid where they were mounted, but the lights were removed years ago. All that is left are the holes. I have purchased 2 NOS back up lights with the mounting pads. The lights have 1 wire coming out with a bullet attached to the wire.

Does each wire coming out of lights go to the neutral switch? Or do the 2 wires couple together in deck lid, and then one wire runs up to the neutral switch?

Do both poles on the neutral switch get used for the back up lights?

Thank you all for your help. Bill
  • Hudson Grandpa
    In my opinion both wires go to safety switch. You determine which is + or -.. Now the reason I said that on the 54 is you need the parking light switch on to excite the current to the lights. That may be different on the earlier models, in that a couple of people say they have a switch, but if you have + or- hookup correctly my guess is that the neutral switch will light up the lights in R.  If not turn the parking light on and I'll bet you have lights.
  • Thanks Grandpa, I'll have to take the meter to the neutral switch and see what I have on those two poles.

Does anyone have a part number for that neutral safety switch? Is there an aftermarket part number that looks like the one Richard has in the picture above? I'm just thinking ahead if mine is faulty or something.
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Ignition switch on, and shift lever in r, just in case your wondering why the meter won't move. Just trying to help!!!!
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Sometimes they get wired through the lights, so on some cars, the headlight switch at least has to have the parking lights on, in order for the back-up lights to come on, which makes sense, as you wouldn't need them on in the daylight.   ;)
  • I spliced into the hot wire going to brake switch; then to the hot pole of mine backup lite on the neutral Hydramatic switch {since they were about 12" apart}. The other pole goes to a relay due to wattage of lights.

• DocHubler, the left rear bumper guard partially blocks the view of the back up light.   Is it on a pedestal mount?  Or is it attached to the sheet metal?  (the style I'm looking for)...k
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Keith here is a picture of the type of back up light you have indicated you are seeking. 

Good Luck

• Thank you, Ken.   So--they do exist...k

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hudson accessory made by Yankee. I have pictures of them in Hudson as well as Yankee packaging. Put ad in the local chapter and Wtn newsletters. Folks have stuff squirreled away and you would be surprised what surfaces when you ask. Works for me ...
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser

I picked up a couple of these on eBay some time ago. Needed to replace the rusted out bucket on the one that came with the car.

These are made by Unity and match the original one on the car.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for posting - look like the Yankee set I have but without the bumper mount post
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I have one of the backup lights that are posted here that I intend to put on my 49 coupe.  I notice that everyone places the light just under the taillight and just to the left (looking forward) of the bumper guard.  It would seem to me that the bumper guard would block the light and that a better position would be just to the right of the bumper guard.  I'll do what is supposed to be done, but am I wrong for thinking this way? 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The game plan is to install a backup camera just below the tag that will be connected to the same toggle switch as the backup light.  That being the case, I'm inclined to put the light where the camera  will pick up most light, I.e. To the right of the bumper guard.  
  • Jason, here is my backup camera setup. The camera is on the upper tag hole just above the first "3". The monitor is mounted to my 'car caddy' on the tranny hump. I also have the system wired by a three-way switch: on all the time, off, on when in reverse {all when ignition is on}.
    Can show you in person if you are coming Saturday to the Dogwood get-together in Colfax.  

imageimage
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I've got to go to Raleigh this weekend.  How far is Colfax from there?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Are those two lights above the tag your backup lights?  Have you seen the backup camera system that Best Buy sells that has the monitor in the rear view mirror? I'm thinking I can modify that mirror enough by running the wire behind the windshield molding down to behind the kickpanel and back under the carpet to trunk. I just need to make a brace to put in the original mirror holder to attach the new mirror/monitor to. 
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited August 2017
    Lights are backup. 50 watts each H1. Lunch is about 10 miles west of Greensboro, just off I-40 at 
    Sandy Ridge Rd-- at 11am or come to eat at 12; will probably be 
    there until 1:30 or so--look at your last newsletter.
  • Can't imagine the monitor in the mirror unless you have microscopic eyes. I wouldn't recommend that. Will check to see I got from Amazon.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited August 2017
    See mine was a hogepog. The system is Pyle PLCM7500 but I sold the camera on ebay and bought camera Pyle PLCM37FRV on ebay: even exchange out.  Wanted the option to eliminate the backup lines, as well as using continuously or with reverse, and wanted the small camera as you see. Price was roughly $60.
    Can email you details on Sat. if you need them. advise.
    Edit: The 7500 had a camera on a strip that fit on top of tag; sold that camera and bought the smaller camera not on the strip; used the 7500 monitor.
This discussion has been closed.