34 Hudson Straight 8 Power Dome w/Trans - For Sale

I have a 34 Hudson Straight 8 Power Dome complete with Air cleaner, coil, transmission and clutch, bell housing and shifter- For Sale. 
Runs but smokes- needs a rebuild.

All reasonable offers will be considered

Located in Tennessee. Buyer pays for shipping if cannot pick up personally

email: precisionmachineservice@comcast.net

Comments

• Is this motor still available? Do you know if it would be compatible as a replacement for a 1947? I've got a 47 Super Eight with severely rusty cylinders. Where about in Tennessee are you located? Thanks, Bryan
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Then motor would fit in  the '47, but you would have to swap the sumps over. The exhaust  outlet is  slightly different  as the manifold is smaller. They are not as high horsepower as the '47, but I doubt you would notice the difference.  I had a '34 motor in my '39 and the performance was as Rolls Royce would say "adequate".
    Geoff 
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    My fathers 47 PU had a Hudson 8 engine back in the 60's. Ran great. Had no problem keeping up with traffic. Not like his 46 PU with 212 engine. Don't know what year 8 engine was in 47 PU. Don't know why he sold the 47 and keep the 46. He had the seats, door panels and headliner redone but ended up replacing overheated engine with a falcon 6, then a Nash Ambassador 6 and finely a 57 Oldsmobile V8 with automatic, power steering/power brakes and 9" Ford rear end with highway gears.. I wish he had not sold it before I got out of the Army in 66. I loved that old truck. Never could locate the buyer. I have the bill of sale with serial number, unfortunately it is not listed in the Club Roster yet. Lee O'Dell
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited April 2016
    Geoff, what is the difference with the sumps.? Don't remember changing the sump on my 34 or 35 after fitting the later engine, I remember the engine pipe difference.Not a big problem there. We also fitted a 1936 engine into a 1947 .
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I understood that the sump was different with the i.f.s. in the  '47, but perhaps this only applies to step-downs?  My apologies if incorrect.    The other difference of course will be the plumbing - the radiator bottom outlet is on the left  on '35 models, so the bottom tank would have to be modified if fitted to a '36 or later.    I saw the '36 motor in the  '47 coupe at Toowomba Les, but didn't look under it.
    Geoff 
  • Hudson 8 blocks are interchangeable from 1930 to 1947, Things like manifolds, heads, water pumps distb. and such need to be changed. 1948 to 1952 are wide blocks and can be used also, but bell housings are diff. I new a fellow restored a 1930 Hudson phaeton in the 1960,s using a 47 block ,
  • Thanks for all the info guys. The 47 I have is complete, the cylinders are just rusty. It sat for many many years w/o a head. So I thought maybe if this block was the same I could use it instead.
  • Per
    Per Member
    47powerdome8, Where are you located? Per
  • I'm located in Eastern Iowa, just east of Iowa City.
  • Hello 47,

Yes, this is still available. It appears your compatibility question was already answered, as I personally do not know if it is compatible.. We are located in Pigeon Forge, TN.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Just a slight correction - Hudson 8 blocks are only interchangeable for  the years '34-'36, and then '37--'47.   Earlier blocks '30-'33 will interchange with manifolds, but bore sizes are different.   
    Geoff 
  • You are right Geoff, but that is not the issue. He is asking if a early narrow block, will physically fit a 47, which it will.  There are several other different changes thru the years, but most people would never either know or question them. Roger Bell restored a 30 Hudson phaeton in about 1965 using a 47 block and got several AACA awards with the car. When I got my 33 Terraplane 8 in 1965 it had a 49 wide block with a 35 head which I changed to a 33 head and it had a 37 manifold. So aside from some internal changes they will interchange over the years.
  • Per
    Per Member
    47 powerdome 8, Are you still looking for an engine? I have a 1947 8 which I bought with the intention of putting it in a 1949. I found that it would be difficult. The engine was taken from a running car years ago. I took off the head to get a couple of stuck valves working, and bought a new head gasket. Its cylinders and valves look fine. I paid $500 and would be happy to sell it for that. I am in Boston, MA. Per
  • jrenda
    jrenda Member
    Per- I am in Boston if this is still available and if 47 Powerdome 8 passes on it.  Thank you!

- jason
This discussion has been closed.