Paul Simms of Lakewood, NJ

Hello, my name is Alex Neues and I am Grandson to the late Hudson Collector Paul Simms. I found a thread in here with my Grandfather's name in it from 2007 discussing his Hudson Woody and was hoping you all could share some of your fondest stories of him and/or pictures.

I unfortunately lost my Grandfather at a young age, but I remember how much he loved his Hudson's and would love to know if anyone knows where any of his collection ended up.

Kind regards and thank you for your time,

Alex Neues
Arvada, CO

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Sure, I remember him and Lila well.  I lived in South Jersey for many years, saw him at many Hudson meets (chapter, regional, nathional)   I have great memories of the cigar and the Christian Brothers brandy!  I'm sorry you lost him early in your life.

Maybe some people will chime in here regarding the final disposal of his vehicles.  I think the '42 wagon went to Jimm Fritts but I can't recall who owns it now.  I don't recall where the '46 (/47?) convertible went.  But there are sill a lot of people in NJ who remember Paul with fondness and I'll bet some of them know where the cars are now.

One of the NOS hubcaps on my '37 Terraplane was bought from Paul, so I guess you'd say that I carry a little memory of him around, whenever I drive it.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    There are 22 Hudson commercials listed in the roster but none with a wagon designation and no Fritts.  Maybe it was listed in the 42 car roster
  • Thank you very much John. I believe I have one of his chapter jackets still as well.

Do you have any of the vins or anything to help me track down any of his old collection?

Kind regards,

Alex
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2016
    I'm fairly sure this is Paul and Lila's old wagon:   http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2005/09/Rolling-Sculpture---1942-Hudson-Super-Six-Wagon/1281469.html
    According to the article, he bought it from Jim Fritts, and I'm pretty sure that the wagon Jim owned, was Paul's.  If we can find the serial number we may be able to verify that.

Of course, Paul owned other Hudsons, including a '47convertible.  But the master registry only lists his car as a "Hudson", he didn't mention which model nor did he give a serial number.  So that will be hard to trace.

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    ALEX YOUR GRAND PAP PAUL AND LILA WE KNEW THEM WELL WE VISITED WITH THEM AT THERE HOME AND WENT TO ATLANTIC CITY WITH THEM HE  ALWAYS HAD A TOBBY  LIT AND A BOTTLE TO SHAIR THEY WERE GREAT PEOPLE MY WIFE AND I WON A HUDSON BLANKET LILA MADE FOR A PRIZE AT THE NJ NATIONAL MEET WE STILL HAVE IT OUT AND ON DISPLAY IN OUR LIVING ROOM
  • Thank you so much for sharing! It honors me deeply that you still have the blanket on display.
    ALEX YOUR GRAND PAP PAUL AND LILA WE KNEW THEM WELL WE VISITED WITH THEM AT THERE HOME AND WENT TO ATLANTIC CITY WITH THEM HE  ALWAYS HAD A TOBBY  LIT AND A BOTTLE TO SHAIR THEY WERE GREAT PEOPLE MY WIFE AND I WON A HUDSON BLANKET LILA MADE FOR A PRIZE AT THE NJ NATIONAL MEET WE STILL HAVE IT OUT AND ON DISPLAY IN OUR LIVING ROOM

• Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would go about hunting down any of my Grandfather's vehicles? Also in happy news, I now have my Grandfather's hat and jacket on display at my work. He would of loved where I work now, feel free to check out our website and if ever in the area please don't hesitate to ask for a tour. http://steelaffairsautomotive.com/ 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    According to the old listing (that shows about 5,000 Hudson cars), your grandfather never provided a serial number for either the convertible or station wagon. So there is no definite way to know -- even if you have located a car you THINK was his -- to verify that this car WAS actually his.  Unless you have access to old family records that might include some of his old car registrations.

As I have mentioned, I believe that the wagon went to Jim Fritts, formerly of New Jersey.  In fact, it appears that Mr.Fritts also owns (or owned) a '47 convertible, which leads me to believe he might have bought both of them from Paul.

Here is a Hemmings article http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2005/09/Rolling-Sculpture---1942-Hudson-Super-Six-Wagon/1281469.html  that tells about the wagon, mentions Mr. Fritts and his location, and mentions the (presumably) present-day owner of the wagon.  Possibly by a little creative investigation you can locate one or both people, especially Mr. Fritts who may know if indeed the wagon and convertible were once Paul Simms'.

Of course your grandfather owned other Hudsons but they were not so deeply burned into my memory as the convertible and wagon!
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I knew Jim Fritz. He bought the wagon from Paul after seeing it at Doc's meet. Later Jim trailered itntomDoc's meet fully restored. Very nice car
This discussion has been closed.