e-mail address are being hacked

KdancyKdancy Senior Contributor
in OFF TOPIC Posts: 2,110
This was supposedly to me from Lee Odell---

I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about My trip to  Manila, Philippines Am in Philippines to see my ill cousin she is suffering from Kidney disease and must undergo Kidney transplant to save her life the condition  is critical.

Kidney transplant is very expensive here, so i want to transfer her back  home to have the surgery implemented. I really need to take care of this  now but my credit

card can't work here. I traveled with little money due to  the short time I had to prepare for this trip, Most painful thing is that i lost  my phone, i can only

contact now through email, and I never expected  things to be the way it is right now. I need a loan of ($2,500 USD) from you  and I'll reimburse you at my return. I

will really appreciate whatever  amount. let me know if you can be of any assistance.

Regards

LEE

53 Super Super Wasp Coupe
53 Studebaker Coupe Custom
64 Champ pickup
53 Hornet Coupe od no drivetrain,  haven't decided what to do with this 
Wellborn, Fl

Comments

• PaulButlerPaulButler Administrator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 734
    I had one as well that went straight into my spam folder however it did appear to have come from Lee's yahoo account but interestingly the return reply is to an outlook account

I've dropped him a note to let him know that someone may have appropriated his address book

• Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Senior Contributor
    Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, a spam message with my email address was sent to Walt Mordenti. He emailed me to inform me he found it in his spam box, but didn't open. I told him to delete and then I changed my Yahoo password. At the time I didn't think it was coming thru here.
         Another problem wit this thing is I have to type almost a whole paragraph, or else it says "Body is too short" or something like that. This forum is a never -ending story of trouble....
  • RonSRonS Senior Contributor
    It has happened here to an acquaintance  of mine as well. Lee, the email was sent with all your letters in capital. It is exactly the same story that I received from that other person.
  • tractortractor Member
    I got it to. I was going to offer a trade for your truck
  • FrankvintagefullflowcomFrankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

I got it too.

It was such a convincing, tear jerker of a story that I sent $10,000 just to make sure she got a good kidney. Them babies ain't cheap, you know.

Sad to realize that there actually suckers that fall for those scams. It must work once in a while or they wouldn't be trying it.

Frank

edited February 2016 Posts: 734
    Ken U-Tx said:
    Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, a spam message with my email address was sent to Walt Mordenti. He emailed me to inform me he found it in his spam box, but didn't open. I told him to delete and then I changed my Yahoo password. At the time I didn't think it was coming thru here.
         Another problem wit this thing is I have to type almost a whole paragraph, or else it says "Body is too short" or something like that. This forum is a never -ending story of trouble....
    Sorry you think it's trouble Ken because the few of us that look after it try very hard to not make it so.

There are settings to make sure that people type in something reasonable; at the moment it expects a minimum of 15 characters to be typed so I'm not sure where you're getting the "whole paragraph" error from.

Please post in what o/s and browser you use so I can see if it's a known issue.

Also the email leak hasn't happened from here ; it looks as if Lee's yahoo account may have been compromised in some way

• Uncle JoshUncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Yup, I got it too.  Smelled like a scam from the get go.  Several red flags.  Got one from a guy who saw our ad for a 28 Buda engine.  He had one running with extra parts.  Sniff.  He could ship it for 50 bucks.  Sniff Sniff.  He was in Glasgow  Sniff Sniff Sniff.  those trucks were not used there.  Agreed on a price of $900.  OK wire it at Western Union  STINK!  But I need a picture of it.  Oh, my camera is broken.  For mercy sakes, borrow one or buy a new one for 79 bucks.  Silence ever since.  Some people must actually fall for this stuff or they wouldn't try it.
  • Nerve_CenterNerve_Center Member
    I got one from a guy who couldn't send me the money for a purchase because he was on an oil rig off NZ but still wanted me to ship it. I said that's great. I'm actually heading to the one and only rig off NZ tomorrow. (Which I was). I'll see him there. - Silence. Paul. Your work is appreciated.
  • 46HudsonPU46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 538

Yup, looks like Lee's yahoo account got hacked.  IMO, he probably got a virus on his PC, which took a lot more than just his email account password.  Hopefully, he will get the word and get things 'locked down'.

I looked his phone number up on the HET website and left him a voice-message on his phone, and posted a PM to him on Facebook as well.

---------------------------------------

Advise:

- Do not open any email that looks odd or suspicious.  Do not click-on any link in any suspect email, or respond to any email that looks odd or funny;

- Turn off HTML in email (use 'text only' settings); without preview.  Delete all emails from unknown senders;

- Don't believe anyone calling that says they are from Microsoft, and that there are issues with your computer (LOL!);

VERY IMPORTANT:

- Keep your PC's operating system & applications up-to-date (patch, patch and more patches);

- Buy, install both anti-virus and anti-malware software.  Use it and keep it updated and current;

• Lee ODellLee ODell Senior Contributor
    IT IS A SCAM!!!!!!!
    I did not request any money from anyone. Been out of town for two day and just got home and check my mail.  Thanks everyone for letting me know about this.
    Lee O'Dell
    Rick,

I must get that Microsoft call 2 or 3 times a month :)

Depending on my mood and how busy I am determines how long it is I keep them on the phone before they work out that they aren't going to get anywhere - heck it's their phone bill!

• 46HudsonPU46HudsonPU Administrator
    Rick,

I must get that Microsoft call 2 or 3 times a month :)

Depending on my mood and how busy I am determines how long it is I keep them on the phone before they work out that they aren't going to get anywhere - heck it's their phone bill!
    Same here - it is getting to the point that if we do not recognize a phone number, we do not answer the phone (both on the land line and on the cell).  We get 3+ calls a day (credit card, spam, surveys, etc.,), and now 'election' and 'voter survey' calls are beginning - again!