51 Hornet Project. With pictures.

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    You certainly jump into a project with both feet, that should be a fun ride.  The most common statement from folks will probably be "I didn't know Hudson made a pickup".
  • Here's a picture of the car and truck together for the first time.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Looking good Preston!
  • Looking good Preston!
    Thank You Paul.
  • onerare39 said:
    You certainly jump into a project with both feet, that should be a fun ride.  The most common statement from folks will probably be "I didn't know Hudson made a pickup".

I get that a lot already, they certainly made a beautiful truck,I can't wait to drive it.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Very nice Preston, coming along very nice!
  • Thank you Val, I am moving some parts cars right now, trying to beat the weather. I need my Hudson parts car out also, so I can take it to my shop at work. This will let me move to phase two of the project, (the drivetrain). I will also get to start working on the front bumper and grill as well.
  • Brought the Hornet home to make room at work for the parts car.
  • I bought this car to convert to 2 door club coupe, but when I got it stripped down I determined it would take to much work so I bought another body. At least the parts car has stayed in one piece, the club coupe broke in half when I unloaded it. I will be using parts from grill and bumper, as well as the entire drivetrain. I have been anxious to start on the engine, it's what attracted me to a Hudson in the first place.  Here is a couple of pics of the parts, and the rust that condemned this car to parts car status.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Need to evict the rodent living in heaven on top of that engine.
  • triman62
    triman62 Member
    edited November 2017
    Need to evict the rodent living in heaven on top of that engine.

I moved the car just before that picture was taken, he hasn't been back so I guess he's looking for a new home now.

th.jpg 17.3K
  • Worked on the parts car today. As previously mentioned I will be using engine trans and rear end. I've seen cars turned over to remove rear ends, thought I would give it a try.     
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Parts car? What parts car----:)
  • Kdancy said:
    Parts car? What parts car----:)
    Slowly donating its parts to the 51 Hornet Project. Any and all usable parts not needed will go on the parts shelf, nothing makes a mechanic feel more comfortable than rows of parts racked and ready when needed. Engine and trans ready to come out tomorrow, put a wrench on the crankshaft nut and it turned over slick and easy, pulled the dipstick and found nothing but thick old oil, trans was the same way. Even the water pump turns by hand nice and smooth.
  • I am very excited about starting on this engine, today I pulled it out. I need to get the front frame ready for storage, then I can dismantle the engine to see what will need to be done.

• You my friend have a lot of work ahead of you with that one but after seeing what you have done with the others I have no doubt you can do it. Rock on!!!
  • I forgot to take pictures today, I'll try to remember to get some next week. My workbench hasn't been this busy since I started on the body almost 4 years ago. I am actually about a year over budget for the body work, but I have decided not to do a full interior, so that makes up the difference for me. I had originally planned on a year for the interior but I don't think the car will recoup that kind of investment. I will continue to get it running and driving and enjoy it the best that I can. Here's a couple of pics from earlier in the week that didn't come out the best, but will give a good idea of my winter work schedule. Hope everyone has enjoyed the build so far, thanks again to all who posted their support for the project, it really helps to keep me motivated.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Crazy Kool to participate from the forum sidelines !
  • triman62
    triman62 Member
    edited December 2017
    Working on cleaning parts, and getting parts ready for storage. Made a little progress this last week, but dragging my feet some on the engine until after the holidays. I don't want to have the engine all dismantled and waiting for parts. I need to buy a service manual for engine repair. I'm unsure about a head bolt removal sequence.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The Hudson manual for engine disassembly does not have a removal sequence.  The re installation is specified in the manual.   Links to the Hudson Manual required for your mechanical activities are part of my website.  http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/
    Merry Christmas to you
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Are you installing a 232 engine in a Hornet?
  • The Hudson manual for engine disassembly does not have a removal sequence.  The re installation is specified in the manual.   Links to the Hudson Manual required for your mechanical activities are part of my website.  http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/
    Merry Christmas to you

Ken, Thanks for the info, GREAT WEBSITE!. I will be visiting it more in the new year. Merry Christmas to you as well.
  • lostmind said:
    Are you installing a 232 engine in a Hornet?

Yes sir. I am installing the 232 in the Hornet, and I might even take it over to the local race track and run it through its paces, during the H.A.M.B. drag nationals. I don't expect to live up to the Hornet's legendary record, but it will be a lot cheaper to drive it. I plan on using the car for photo opportunity's on Route 66 at some of the events in the Joplin MO. area, and to just enjoy the ride of a 50's era car.
  • Keep at it and you will have a nice car. I know this old kan o tex station as I have visited it many  times. I too use my 39 for photo ops along US 66 around Stl and thru ILL. Merry Christmas Trimman  Looking forward to more photos as you progress
  • Val, Thanks for comment, I am always on the lookout for Hudson's in my area hope to see you and the 39 sometime. Merry Christmas.

• triman62
    triman62 Member
    edited December 2017
    Pulled the head off today, engine has no rust in the cylinders whatsoever. Pistons are extremely clean, only a slight trace of carbon buildup. May have been overhauled shortly before being parked? The rear end had new brakes and hardware installed, and the receipt for the tires showed only around 8oo miles since new.

• triman62
    triman62 Member
    edited December 2017
    I think I may have found out what caused this car to be parked way back when. It looks like all the cork material is spun out to the edge of the pressure plate. Is this common when the clutch goes out?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Seen that condition before.... I believe it is called SLIP SLIP SLIP... NO MOVE
  • Yes Sir!!!! Oldfarmer is a 100% correct. Had mine replaced and didn't look near that bad. Wildrick can rebuild it for you if you are unfamiliar with it.
  • Val said:
    Yes Sir!!!! Oldfarmer is a 100% correct. Had mine replaced and didn't look near that bad. Wildrick can rebuild it for you if you are unfamiliar with it.

I am trying to decide between the 3 speed manual or the Hydramatic. It will probably come down to the availability of a shifter cable for the single lever manual.
This discussion has been closed.