Self-cancelling turn signals?

RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
So, I'm working on the convertible's ('52 Hornet) steering wheel and column.  I had several issues I needed to address, including the turn signals.  One direction will stay "on" and the other you have to hold the lever in place.  Neither way cancels.  Before I go and tear into my sedan to figure out how it's supposed to be adjusted, I though someone might be able to give me some good pointers (pun intended).  

Yes, the mechanical pawls are in place inside the direction indicator unit and they go up and down and function the way they are supposed to.  Also, the two pins are in fine condition on the back of the steering wheel.  

Comments

• RL Chilton
    Wow.  No replies at all.  Surprised.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'll hazard a guess or two. 

You say that, when you remove the switch, you can see that the canceling pawls work.  And you say that the pins are in place on the underside of the steering wheel. 

So by deduction, one would think that the pins are not contacting the pawls.

Is it possible that the switch is mounted to the steering column slightly below where it is supposed to be, so that the pins don't quite reach the pawls on the switch?  I'm not well acquainted with these switches, though I have custom-fit a 1952-3 switch to my 1937.  And I seem to be able to move the switch up or down the column, then when I tighten the clamp, it will stay at that particular level.  So I wondered if your switch has "moved" from its normal position.

The other half of the equation is the pins.  Possibly they are not reaching the pawls.  Could it be that the steering wheel is not snugged down tightly?  Is your wheel the one meant for your car?  Could the pins have been installed incorrectly by a previous owner (or might they be the wrong pins)?  Is it possible to remove one of the pins and substitute a temporary "pin" (maybe some sort of dowel, bolt, or split pin) that is slightly longer -- just to see if that will engage the pawls?

• RL Chilton
    Thanks for the input, guys.  I'll look into this as soon as I can.  I know the "locating pin".  is not on mine.  Same thing, I"m sure the chrome shop removed it or it fell out at some point.  Good to know.  
This discussion has been closed.