Starter motor "locking up"

Browniepetersen
Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
Third day of driving the 54 with no road problems.  Well, almost no issues?  I think that is why we call them "shake down" drives.  Went out to start the car today and the starter motor "locked up."  This is the second time this has happened since the engine was rebuilt.  Backed off the starter motor bolts and hit the starter and it was ok.  Tightened up things and went for a drive.  Everything under the hood has now been rebuilt so I am wondering why the starter motor does this.  First question is why is this happening and what do I do to cure it?

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Ken, everything on the motor is "matching numbers."  I inspected the ring and bendix teeth when the engine was out and being rebuilt and everything looked good.  However, there could have been wear that we did not notice.  The car started its live as a stick and Ike Smith converted it to a Hydramatic.  We did establish that the engine was a late production 54 a short time back and the starter motor I expect is a 54 as well.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    I have same problem with one of my 308's.  I found using .030 general motor starter shims between starter and bell housing solves the problem.  Worked for me!
This discussion has been closed.