Gas Tank Repair '46 Pickup

LanceB
LanceB Senior Contributor

Hi all,

I have a problem when I fill my tank all the way.  I have fuel leaking out around the pick up tube at the top.  I am thinking about dropping the tank and replacing the gasket there but when looking at how it is mounted I do not see a way of removing the bolts.  They look like carriage bolts.  Is there a way of removing these bolts from the outside or do I need to pull the float assy and go in from there?

Thanks, Lance

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited January 2016
    Lance,
    My '46 Pickup had the same problem. Just need to remove the two Machine Screws then the pickup tube will come right out. (Maybe someone put Carriage screws in there but doubtful) since the Factory put in Machine Screws that thread inward.

• LanceB
    Thanks Ol racer, may need to cut a slot in the head so I can back them out and replace with machine screws.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Suggestion, use socket head machine screws on you pickup tube and float assembly. I got mine from open stock at an ACE hardware. These screws allow ease in installation and multiple removal without screwhead damage.
  • LanceB

Hi Ken,

No they are not the ones on the straps.  The two screws are on the flange around the pick-up tube on the top of the tank.  I tried cleaning and they look pretty good as to being solid but I will look closer once I drop the tank.

Thanks all.

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI
    I bet the screws are slotted after tank down & wire brushed good. Here is how I got out mine recently..... I sprayed Pentrant then took a small sharp chisel tapping screws counter clockwise to start loosening (and let pentrant creep in), then took an 'Impact' type Screw Driver and rapped on the handle to further loosen screws. I did the same for the Float Assy...
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    When I dropped my tank I found a lot of rust holes on top. I was surprised because the rest of tank looked fine. Must be because it is strapped against bottom of bed where dirt builds up and moisture not drying. Lee O'Dell
  • LanceB

Thank you Ol racer, I'll try the penetrating oil and chisel method.  Will be doing that this weekend.

Lee, the tank was cleaned and coated so there is no rust holes on top, thanks for the idea anyway.

BTW all, why is my picture (icon) not showing up here?  And why can't I change it (says page not found).

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Hi Lance,

To answer your question re the picture etc. We have had a couple of problems since a software upgrade on the forum a while back that I am trying to work my way through so bear with me
  • LanceB
    No worries Paul, just as long as I can still log in and get everyone' s expert opinion. ;)
  • LanceB

Thanks all!  Dropped the tank Saturday, found that the screws were Phillips Head and filled with gunk.  Cleaned them out and backed them out.  The problem was not the gasket, it was the pick up tube.  The solder joint from the tube to the bracket plate was broken/gone.  Cleaned and re-soldered the joint and all looks good.

Thanks again.

Lance

This discussion has been closed.